We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Yavapai Lodge, want to make it to Yaki Point for

Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Staying at Yavapai Lodge, want to make it to Yaki Point for

So we'll be staying at Yavapai Lodge (east) and want to make it to Yaki Point for sunrise. This will be on June 29, which should put sunrise around 5:15. Trying to figure out the shuttle bus situation, and get feel for distances. From what I've read it looks like the orange shuttle leaves from visitors center, my question is what is best way to get to visitor center from where we are staying? I see there is a blue shuttle stop near by, but not sure which direction it's going and if it'll give us enough time to get to orange shuttle, then to Yaki before sunrise. Would it be easier to just drive and park at visitor center? Is it walkable? Probably not best idea since it'll be completely dark and we're unfamiliar with area. Just want to have a plan in place so we don't miss out on sunrise. Thanks for any assistance.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,753 Reviews
from $399.99*
$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour from Las...
640 Reviews
from $369.99*
$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
341 Reviews
from $379.99*
$499.00
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
34 posts
1. Re: Staying at Yavapai Lodge, want to make it to Yaki Point for

I'd suggest you either walk to the VC or drive there. The center of Yavapai Lodge rooms is about 0.6 miles walking or driving distance, but you're right about the darkness so driving probably makes sense. You'll spend as much or more time waiting for the blue shuttle, if its running that early.

Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Staying at Yavapai Lodge, want to make it to Yaki Point for

Thanks, that was the direction I was leaning. I don't expect parking at the visitor center to be much of an issue at 4:30am.

Level Contributor
18 posts
3. Re: Staying at Yavapai Lodge, want to make it to Yaki Point for

We just stayed at Yavapai West and we drove to visitor center in the early am twice. Once to watch sunrise from Mather point (don't do it!) and once to take the shuttle to South Kaibab trail.

Williamston...
Level Contributor
988 posts
163 reviews
4. Re: Staying at Yavapai Lodge, want to make it to Yaki Point for

It's a very short drive, so just drive it. I would recommend you go there the day before to familiarize yourself with the layout and where the bus stand is.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
238 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Staying at Yavapai Lodge, want to make it to Yaki Point for

Whats wrong with Mather Pt?

Arizona
Level Contributor
797 posts
1 review
6. Re: Staying at Yavapai Lodge, want to make it to Yaki Point for

Besides the ice cream parlor, Mather Point is the most crowded place in GCNP.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
18,066 posts
95 reviews
7. Re: Staying at Yavapai Lodge, want to make it to Yaki Point for

Yavavapai Point is a good place for sunset and sunrise.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
176 posts
378 reviews
8. Re: Staying at Yavapai Lodge, want to make it to Yaki Point for

Why "dont do it?" just wondering; will be there next week. is Mather point too crowded?

Arizona
Level Contributor
797 posts
1 review
9. Re: Staying at Yavapai Lodge, want to make it to Yaki Point for

Pretty sure I answered this question above. Just for perspective here is a photo of sunset from Mather Point that the NPS just uploaded recently: https:/… You be the judge if you want to spend a magical time at the canyon with all of your new friends.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
18,066 posts
95 reviews
10. Re: Staying at Yavapai Lodge, want to make it to Yaki Point for

ellenkay: as someone responded above, mather point is the most crowded overlook in the park, and the same at sunrise and sunset. the magical time at the canyon can be spent at any of the 20+ overlooks. as in the foto at abio's link, what you are watching is the changing colors in the canyon