We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sept. a good time to go?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Topic
Sept. a good time to go?

We are trying to figure out the best time to visit Glacier NP, Yellowstone, and Tetons.. Im afraid if we go in May/June to avoid crowds some things wont be open. If we go in Sept WILL things STILL be open (trails, roads). We def want to do the Road to the Sun, and am worried to not find accomodations ANYWHERE before Sept since we have not made them by now. Is VERY early Sept a good time (after labor day)?

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sept. a good time to go?

Here's a link to a Glacier FAQ from a GNP chat board. Much good info there.

glacierparkchat.com/chat/viewtopic.php?t=580

They like September but you need to check Glacier and Yellowstone web sites for accomodations. Should be OK in very early Sept but check.

Better chance of no issues with GTTSR also. Barring an early blizzard or something.

September in Yellowstone should be very nice. At some point in early Sept is the rut. I think that is primarily at Mammoth but someone may know for sure.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sept. a good time to go?

Last time we visited this area was between sept. 2 and sept. 14. We had no problems finding accomodation outside the NP and stayed in Whitefish and Gardiner (among other places). We visited Glacier NP several times and one of these days we had a bit of snow at Logan Pass. We also had (more) snow at the Beartooth Pass from Red Lodge to the NE entrance of Yellowstone and also in Yellowstone itself (sept. 14). If you want to stay in Yellowstone you will need a reservation unless for cancelations. If you go after Labor Day there probably will be accomodation in West Yellowstone or one of the other places close to YNP and GTNP. Near Glacier many hotels were not booked. BTW it's great to visit Yellowstone and have some snow around!

Tet

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sept. a good time to go?

TET: we corresponded may 06 when I was planning our Utah Parks trip. glad to hear from you again. could; you please help me route this trip. I have not gotten any maps yet, just doing research on internet. I imagine we will fly in and out of Billings MT or Calgary, I wish we could fly into Billings and out of Calgary or visa versa but the "drop off charges" on rental car is SO HIGH. Any suggestions? We def want to go to Glacier NP, Yellowstone, & Tetons. We will have 10 days start to finish including our travel days. BTW we are flying from central florida (home). Anyway, if you could help route us. Keeping in mind, we DONT mind driving lots (last 10 day Nev/Utah trip did 2500 mi in 10 days). We def want to hike, but not REAL long or strenuous ones as we are not in great shape and high altitudes are not familiar to us. I am hoping as in Utah that we can see and enjoy A LOT by driving, with some hikes along the way. Thanks for your imput

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sept. a good time to go?

I LOVE Glacier in September. The crowds thin out drastically, the trees start to turn color, and the days are usually still warm and there is usually no snow yet, except perhaps at the highest elevations.

You can usually count on good weather in very early Sept, but probably not a lot of color in the trees yet.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sept. a good time to go?

Hi Cin, yes april 2006. Hope you've had a great trip.

We have been to Tampa back in 1994. Stayed in Zephyrhills first night and visited FL.GA.NC,TN,KY,MS,AR, LA and AL and back to Tampa. Great trip.

Now for your 10 days itinerary. If you want to make a GNP-YNP/GTNP loop in ten days I suggest not to fly from Calgary but to stick to the US and make a loopdrive from Billings. The Canadian Rockies are awesome but you already have to do a great deal of driving and driving, especially in Yellowstone, is slow (and let is keeping it that way!)

Billings is a good location to start from and finish.

Maybe this helps:

Day 1: Arrival Billings, pick up rental car.

Day 2: Drive from Billings. We did not make many stops on this route so I cannot tell you about things to see. Drive to St. Mary east of Glacier. Will take most of the day.

Day 3: Visit Glacier NP. (Many Glacier)

Day 4: Drive Going to the Sun road for your second day Glacier. We liked our stay in Whitefish for the night, but there are many options.

Day 5: From Whitefish to West Yellowstone makes a long day so start early. Flathead Lake is beautiful. Drive the easternshore and buy delicious cherries along this road. South of Polson there's the Miracles of America museum just east on us 93. Odd place. Then to Missoula and I90 to Butte and Bozeman. The nicest road is us191 from here and also Big Sky on your way. Stay in West Yellowstone.

Day 6: Yellowstone NP

Day 7: Yellowstone NP and the drive to Grand Teton NP.

Day 8: Drive back to Yellowstone and try to arrange a hotel in the park.

Day 9: From Yellowstone to the NE entrance, drive Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge for you last nightsstay.

Day 10: To Billings and to Tampa.

Of course you can try to stay somewhere in Yellowstone and GTNP instead of West Yellowstone. Better start make reservation now, the NP lodges fill up quickly. Try www.xanterra.com for reservations.

Tet

6. Re: Sept. a good time to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 24, 2009