We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier National Park :

washington dc
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Glacier National Park :

Need help from folks who have toured Glacier Nat. Park with Road Scholar recently;2013,

1. better months to visit the park??Closest airport? Rental car?

2. I am older and not a hiker: are the hikes a must to enjoy the park???what other activities are made available????

3. Agree Glacier Nat Park is #1 National Park for beauty????

An early thank you for information: hope not too many questions.....

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier National Park :

1. mid-July to mid-September...my favorite time to visit is the first half of September when crowds are down, biting bugs are gone, trails are all open...

2. It is a hiking park for sure...but has plenty of beauty and less strenuous activities...boat rides on several lakes, GTTS Road, trip to Polebridge Mercantile, lots of great scenery...

3. Without question for mountain scenery...also, most likely you will see bighorn sheep, mountain goats and likely a bear without even hiking...

USA
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier National Park :

I don't know what Road Scholar is, but I did visit Glacier last year, and have another trip planned for this year.

1. Closest airport is Kalispell, MT. There are rental cars available there from major companies - I found it very easy to fly and get my rental car. However, it is probably more expensive than most other airports because of it's seasonal popularity (I assume).

2. Last year, I took all the available boat rides, and did a Red Bus tour. They were all nice ways to explore the park, but I do prefer hiking. You can see a lot from the Going-to-the-Sun road viewpoints on your own, as well. If you can handle a little walking - the ranger-led strolls or nature walks are easy and slow paced and very interesting and informative - I recommend them. Schedules will come out maybe a month in advance.

3. I haven't been everywhere yet, but so far, it's my favorite!

Edited: 3:54 pm, April 09, 2014
Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier National Park :

agree with both above. Your biggest challenge is securing accomodations!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier National Park :

Glazier National Park is absolutely beautiful and many parts of it are accessible to people with limited mobility. Going To The Sun Road goes right over the mountain and is stunningly beautiful. If you aren't afraid of heights, drive Going To The Sun Road. There are many pullouts, so you can pull your car over and enjoy the beautiful scenery - you will likely see mountain goats at the top of this road. If you don't want to drive it, the Red Bus provides service.

There are a number of short hikes in the park for nonhikers. The Trail of the Cedars has a flat, short trail with no elevation - very easy hike. It is a loop trail, but the boardwalk side was closed last year because of flood damage - I don't know if it will be open this year. The other side is a wide, flat dirt trail - flat and gentle enough to take a stroller on. The trail goes through a cedar forest and ends at a waterfall - well worth seeing. This trail is located close to the McDonald Lodge.

On the other side of the park is Running Eagle Falls or "Trick Falls". This is another very gentle, very short trail with no elevation. I was able to walk both trails within weeks of major knee surgery.

The lodges are a must see. The McDonald Lodge has seating on the lake side - beautiful place to sit in the shade - or take a boat trip up McDonald Lake.

Many Glacier Lodge is also beautiful with stunning views. The lodge offers seating inside and out where you can enjoy lovely views and their dinning room has large windows - best dining view in the park.

If you are up to some short, easy day hikes - this link has the easiest ones listed. hikinginglacier.com/glacier-best-easy-hikes.…

5. Re: Glacier National Park :

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 12, 2015