We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier NP lodging

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
158 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier NP lodging

Hi all,

I was considering a 4-5 day stay in Glacier NP in mid August. However, I looked today on the Xanterra website and almost all of the hotels for the nights I want to be there are already sold out. Is it normal for rooms to open up as time goes on? Can I reasonably assume that something will come up or should I just drop the whole idea?

Thanks

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier NP lodging

There is a decent chance that if you are vigilant, rooms will open at your hotel of choice. You certainly should be able to patch together a vacation even if you have to go with your second option for lodging.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier NP lodging

Also consider staying just outside the park. There are usually vacancies if you don't mind having to drive into the park everyday.

Try lodging in St. Mary on the east side and West Glacier on the west side.

Marcellus, New York
Level Contributor
928 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier NP lodging

I had started piecing together an itinerary for Glacier this August a while back, but my in-laws recently decided they would like to join us. Just in the past few weeks things seem to have booked up pretty solid for early August, but I still managed to get Swiftcurrent, Rising Sun and Apgar Village Inn by calling every few days.

The important thing is don't trust the web site - it will sometimes show green when there is nothing available, and it will sometimes show red when things are! I have called quite a few times and gotten rooms when the web site showed nothing was available, so definitely try to call.

And my suggestion is to book whatever you can get and go from there. You can always try to refine your lodging plans, but just having something for each night will at least allow you to go ahead with your plans for the visit. My guess is that Xanterra's generous cancellation policy may mean things in the park sometimes coming open as the dates get closer.

FWIW, during the peak summer season on a previous road trip, we booked a room in Zion by stopping by the park visitor's center that same day, and we got a room at Bryce by calling just a couple days in advance. Those places are already booked solid for this summer at this point, so what we found would most likely have been cancellations. So there is hope!

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier NP lodging

Rising Sun is a great option and there are other options not in the park, but in St. Mary area and West Glacier

Glacier National...
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier NP lodging

There are still plenty of openings in the smaller inns and places. Xanterra is the new elephant on the block but there are still plenty of non-corporate places in the towns of Coram, Hungry Horse and Columbia Falls, which are all close to the park but you have to search for the lodging places under those names because Xanterra seems to have a lock down on the Glacier Park search term.

Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
491 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glacier NP lodging

We stayed at Silverwolf Log Chalet Resort just a few miles from the West entrance. Now I don't know about the "resort" portion of the name, but I do know you get a very clean, comfortable log cabin. Continental breakfast is stocked in your room daily. Minutes from the West entrance to the park. Near to Columbia Falls where there are stores and plenty of restaurants. We were very happy staying here for 4 nights last June. Seems geared towards adults, so if you have kids you may want to ask.....

7. Re: Glacier NP lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 11, 2015