We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Waterton Marina?

Baltimore, Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
Transportation from Waterton Marina?

I, my brother, and my cousin are planning a backpacking trip this summer. Our plan is to leave from the Logan Pass visitor center and hike north for four days, arriving at Waterton Lake. I know there is a ferry to take us across the lake to Waterton Marina.

The question is ground transportation. From the NPS website, I've seen that they run a shuttle on the Going-to-the-Sun Road during the summer. That would take us to the starting point for our hike. However, I've not been able to find any information about transportation from Waterton Marina back across the border into Montana. Does anyone know whether there is any option for transportation there?

Thank you in advance!

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
420 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Waterton Marina?

The only transport I'm familiar with is a shuttle operated by Glacier Park Inc from Prince of Wales Hotel in Waterton to different spots on the east side of GNP. Here is the link. I would call them for specifics.

glacierparkinc.com/shuttle_information.php

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Waterton Marina?

Yes, there is a GPI shuttle. However, your first issue is to get the backpacking permits to do this trip. 50-mountain is a very popular site and a difficult permit. Granite park BC site also the same issue. Kootenai lake is much easier (most mosquitos I have ever seen are here every year). Assuming you can secure the BC permits, then you should call and reserve seats on the shuttle (get the name of the person taking the reservation and ask for an email to confirm!!) This will get you back to St. Mary entrance or Many Glacier. I ahve tried hitchhiking this route a number of times and it simply doesn't work.

3. Re: Transportation from Waterton Marina?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 21, 2015