We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to figure out which hike to do at 4 PM

NJ
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Topic
Trying to figure out which hike to do at 4 PM

I am will arrive at the West Entrance at 4 PM and need to figure out a hike that will be good in that area. Also where the best place to photograph the sunset in GNP. I am staying in the Rising Sun Campground so I also have to ask if going to the sun road will be open after twilight.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trying to figure out which hike to do at 4 PM

And I am trying to figure out what mode of extraordinary transportation you are using that's going to get you to GNP at 4:00. No road construction delays? Amtrak delays? Perfectly timed flights? How about allowing lots more leeway to your travel plans, giving yourself the simple pleasures of stopping along the way to savor the moment, the view, the real MT, which means SLOW DOWN.

But of course you are right on track with planning your days for overnight stays.

Because you are ambitious about fitting in as much as you can, you will be happy to know that summertime days are deliciously long -- gets light between 4 and 5 a.m., gets dark between 9 and 10 p.m.

Fish Creek Campground and Rocky Point Trail are a great introduction to GNP for your first night. Beautiful place to catch the sunset!

You've got some really good DE posting advice as to what trails to do when.

Have a fabulous trip....completely different from anything else you've experienced, I'm sure!

NJ
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Trying to figure out which hike to do at 4 PM

I am 24 and in very good shape...

I am right now seriously considering hacking away Yellowstone from my trip and adding the days here to GNP. Even just from the pictures I have seen I am utterly in love with this place already.

Thanks for the list....Would you say Awesome pass would be worth staying another day?

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trying to figure out which hike to do at 4 PM

Thanks GNP4me his list is pretty close to my entire summer list.

Bowman and Kintla Lakes are on dirt roads. Polebridge is on a dirt road. That would be most of a day to do.

West Glacier to Many Glacier is three hours driving if there are no major construction delays.

It's 45 minutes from my house north of Whitefish to West Glacier if I leave early in the morning twice that if the traffic is bad and the backup at the West Glacier entrance is heavy.

On the other hand Jake hiked ALL of the trails in GNP in one season. Not something I'm even remotely interested in doing even if I were capable of it, which I am not.

I remember last summer on the Highline Trail taking photos of one of the best bear grass blooms ever at sunrise and moving aside, to let several very fast hikers who never looked up from the trail, get by me.

There are four hikes that connect to paved roads that I haven't completed. I have done 2/3 thirds of Gunsight Trail multiple times. Will most likely do 2/3 thirds of Dawson/Pitamakan this summer. The other two don't make any sense without being able to go the whole way. What I am getting at is that people return year after year to take in the glory that is Glacier National Park. Don't overdo it the first trip. Leave yourself a reason for returning, again and again. I'm a slow hiker your list would take my the whole season starting in late

montana slow hiker

Edited: 5:43 pm, January 20, 2014
Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trying to figure out which hike to do at 4 PM

sunsets are not all that great in Glacier on a consistent basis, but when one does pop, they are wonderful. Sunrises are more spectacular and being at rising sun places you almost perfect. Get up before sunrise and head to wild goose island overlook and join the throng of folks shooting sunrise there (and be prepared for the mosquitos) Another good sunrise spot is the bridge at many glacier hotel.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
646 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Trying to figure out which hike to do at 4 PM

Highline Trail is the holy grail of GNP trails, I would call it a must, the one way loop is 11.8 mile (add a steep 1.2 mile RT to go up Grinnell Glacier Lookoout- yes this where you died and went to heaven)

Grinnell Glacier trail starting at lake Josephine boat dock would fulfill your boat riding desire combining with another on earth as in heaven trail. 7.6 miles RT. You could add a short trail in Manny Glacier area to "fill up" your day.

these other trails on your list are also at Many Glacier (yes they are outstanding also):

-- Cracker Lake 12.6 miles RT

--Ptamigan Tunnel (10.7 miles) + Iceberg Lake (add another 5+ miles) share first 2 miles together. (a 2 for 1 for very fit hikers)

That is 4 full days of (very strenuous) hiking.

Another awesome trail you mentioned - Siyeh Pass is 8.9 mile RT, or better you could do Siyeh Pass loop (one way down to Sunrift Gorge) - 10.4 miles.

Rocky Point, Trail of Cedar (first mile of Avalanche), Virgina and Barring Falls are all short and easy, but scattered across the Park.

Yellowstone is of a different geographical setting. If you haven't been there before, I would not skip it. Glacier 's hiking trails, though, is hard to surpass.

NJ
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Trying to figure out which hike to do at 4 PM

Daniel would you suggest I do the Highline trail and add the Grinell Glacier lookout to it? Making this a 13 mile trip? I am going to be starting at 6 AM so I have no problem doing this. I have plenty of mole skin!!!

How many hours would would this trip take? Just so I have an idea. I was thinking maybe on day 1 I could do the above and after we are done hiking I could grab some lunch and drive up and down going to the sun road and do some of the touristy stuff that doesn't involve hiking. This way I can get some rest for the next day and also see more of the park.

Route 3 should be open for me return to Fish Creek campground right?

or would you say I should do the grinell glacier hike separately?

Edited: 8:40 am, January 21, 2014
Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Trying to figure out which hike to do at 4 PM

I agree with Daniel take the Grinnell Glacier stub trail. I'm a slow hiker and i can do that!

The third photo down on my homepage is the view from the top of that trail.

www.glacierhikers.com

It can be very, very windy up top so be aware of that.

0.8 miles UP!

montana slow hiker

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
646 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Trying to figure out which hike to do at 4 PM

Sab: Highline trail with Grinnell Glacier Lookout would take you 6+ to 10 hours to do, and it is a one way trail, so you would need to take the shuttle either at the beginning (park at Loop, and shuttle to Logan Pass where the trail begins, or park at Logan pass, and take shuttle at the Loop at the end).

Grinnell Glacier Trail is a completely different trail that start at Many Glaicer, with boat ride, it'd take 4 to 6 hours. It reaches the bottom of Grinnell Glacier, while the Grinnell Glacier Lookout reaches the top the Glacier.

I am not familiar with route 3. From Fish Creek Campground to Logan Pass using GTTS road would be <1 hour.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Trying to figure out which hike to do at 4 PM

Maybe Sab meant Hwy 2. And by Awesome Pass, maybe he meant Dawson Pass???

20. Re: Trying to figure out which hike to do at 4 PM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, January 24, 2015