We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging for GNP

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging for GNP

Hi,

I am travelling to GNP in Aug end but yet to book accommodation.

Is it a good idea to live in Kalispell and travel everyday into the park? We would have a car but just wondering if its a bad idea?

Please advice.

Level Contributor
352 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging for GNP

You will want to be closer.... If your hiking, you'll want to spend a lot of time on the east side... Many glacier area....... and from Kalispell, that's over 3 hours drive. Try Apgar village on west side.... Then Many Glacier on the east... Book asap

Turner, Maine
Level Contributor
491 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging for GNP

Kind of far in my mind. We stayed at Silverwolf Log Chalet Resort. Not sure why it is called a "resort", but that is the only thing I can see the least bit bad about this place. Individual cabins. Heated if needed, no A/C but we never needed it in late June. This place is geared towards couples. I am not even sure if they have cabins with room for more than 2 people. About a 10 minute drive from the west entrance to Glacier. Very nice owners. The cabin was spotless, and was furnished each day with continental breakfast items for the next morning. So you could get up and go as you wished. Highly recommended.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging for GNP

Thanks

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging for GNP

3 hrs?? wow....I was thinking of Kalispell also..... would Whitefish or Columbia Falls be a little closer??

Or Browning? Since we will be traveling on motorcycles its hard to say with 100% certainty how far we will get in a day, makes it kinda hard to pin down a spot!!

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging for GNP

Whitefish about the same as Kalispell. Columbia Falls just a little closer but still almost three hours to Many Glacier area. Any of the above require 30-45 minutes to the west entrance of the park but a couple of hours minimum to Many Glacier, one of the most scenic areas of the park.

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging for GNP

Thanks for the info!! I'll be doing some more research on lodging and hotels!!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging for GNP

I have changed my plan. I will now enter the park from East side. Stay in browning the first night and then 2 nights in many glacier area. Spend the last day in Kalispell and make our way to Missoula.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging for GNP

I have changed my plan. I will now enter the park from East side. Stay in browning the first night and then 2 nights in many glacier area. Spend the last day in Kalispell and make our way to Missoula.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging for GNP

Even though Browning is a gateway town to GNP, be aware that it is a very poor community on the Blackfoot Indian Reservation and lacks what the other surrounding towns offer in the way of tourist amenities ie decent restaurants and not much in the way of lodging (IMHO)

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging for GNP

Even though Browning is a gateway town to GNP, be aware that it is a very poor community on the Blackfoot Indian Reservation and lacks what the other surrounding towns offer in the way of tourist amenities ie decent restaurants and not much in the way of lodging (IMHO) I much prefer the quirky little town of East Glacier.