We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late August or early September?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Late August or early September?

I am just starting to plan our 2014 trip to Glacier National Park. Is there much difference between going the last week of August vs. the first week of September? Also, what are the first things I should book? I assume I should book accomodations as soon as possible. Thank you.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late August or early September?

Six of one half dozen of the other. both weeks are busy times at the park.Book lodging ASAP.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late August or early September?

One of the differences is that most schools are in session so there will be fewer children.

Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Late August or early September?

The hikers shuttle may be shutting down Labor Day, there's that too!

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late August or early September?

As earlyhiker mentions the free park shuttles last day of operation is Labor Day.

You're not camping but for those who are following this thread that camp several of the campgrounds close the day after Labor Day.

www.glacierhikers.com/camping.html

Labor Day weekend is very busy in GNP, while the week before and the week after are not as busy.

www.glacierhikers.com/day-hikes.html

So if you're going to be here for a week I'd suggest the last full week before the Labor Day Weekend or start the Tuesday after Labor Day. The biggest difference will be the lack of the free shuttle, since you're not camping.

montana slow hiker

Edited: 10:54 am, December 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late August or early September?

Thank you very much to those that have replied. We will go about 10 days before Labor Day as I would like to use the hiker shuttles. We might go up into Waterton for Labor Weekend before heading home on Labor Day. Thanks and Happy New Year to you all.

6. Re: Late August or early September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 03, 2015