We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Polebridge

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
216 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
visiting Polebridge

Would like to visit Polebridge, and camp in one of the smaller, apparently less crowded campgrounds in that area of Glacier. Looking at the two books I have, "Hikers Guide" and "Short Hikes and Strolls" I can't find many hikes in that area that would be day hikes for my family. Seven or eight miles is about all we can handle, and most of these seem to be longer than that, unless you are backpacking, which we aren't up to doing. Can anyone suggest any hikes in that area that we could handle, or other things to do? I know it's a long drive up a not-very-good-road, so to make it worthwhile, I feel like we should stay in that area for a couple of days, but don't know what we would do! WOuld love some suggestions.

We have over two weeks in all, so we have plenty of time to explore the other areas of the park but this little-visited area interests me!

nowhere
Level Contributor
276 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Polebridge

I'd probably head for the camping area at Lake Bowman, just five or so very curvy miles from the Polebridge entrance. Nice spot. If memory serves me, there are several shorter hikes from Bowman Lake campground. One goes up to a fire tower; not too long, if I remember, but a nice walk, probably pushing that 8 miles you mention. Other shortish trails head out to the three Quartz Lakes. And there's an out-and-back as-long-as-you-want-to-make-it walk you can do along the shore of Lake Bowman which is nice as well, and flat. But let me tell you, it's hard to beat just sitting next to Lake Bowman with a good book and a good friend.

You could also head up to Lake Kintla, which is lovely and quiet. But the only trail I remember at Kintla goes along the north shore of the lake. It's a nice walk; again, you can always go out for awhile and then turn around.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Polebridge

I agree with previous post regarding Bowman camping and quartz lake hikes. You might consider going up the inside road, (very bumpy and slow, but very unique sights and lots of plaes to stop) Polebridge has great food at the merc. and the northern lights. 2-nights would be ample.

chicago
Level Contributor
352 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Polebridge

we hiked at Bowman which was a very easy fairly flat hike along the lake. There are signs at the campground for the trail. I thought it was a rather boring hike though. The trail is only a short distance from the water but the forest is so dense that you can't see it for most of the hike, in fact you cant see much of anything other than trees. Also, make sure you stop at the bakery at Polebridge. The greatest pecan and cinnamon rolls! And don't forget a sugar cookie,........yummmmm!