We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bears

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bears

Ok--I need to know. We are planning a trip to Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier and the bear talk has me worried. We're not doing back country hiking, just normal trails, etc. How afraid should we be?

madison, nj
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bears

What did you do when you saw the bear 20 feet in front of you?

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bears

We just stopped on the trail, backed up slowly and talked normally so they knew we were there. We had our bear spray ready They were more interested in feeding and went their merry way when done.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bears

Well what happen next?? Did you have to spray the bear?

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bears

Hopefully not! If the bear was intent on eating as they are this time of year, they indeed are not interested in humans. Spray should never be used unless a bear is threatening you. It is always a good idea to have it in hand with the safety off at times...just in case. With Knowledge of wind direction.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bears

Be alert. Carry bear spray on your belt and make noise. We were concerned too this summer when we went on hikes. I was worried my DH would not hike since he is not much of a hiker, plus the bear concerns. The beauty of the place and trails will "call you." Once you start hiking and see the lovely scenery you will want to see more. That's what happened to use. We were Bear Aware and Bear Smart and enjoyed our hikes. We did not run into bears on the trails. Perhaps they heard us and went the other way.

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Bears

Oh no, no reason to spray them, they weren't threatening us. If you have concerns, take one of the ranger courses on dealing with bears/bear spray. If that's not available, talk in depth with a ranger. Really not much to be afraid of as long as you're informed and aware.

17. Re: Bears

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 10, 2014