We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking at logan pass

Bay Area
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Topic
parking at logan pass

We will be in Glacier the week of August 5th. We plan to take a leisurely drive east on Going to the Sun Road from Lake McDonald to Many Glacier on one of the days. I think that this would put us at Logan pass mid to late morning. Is it going to be impossible to find parking? What should we do? We were hoping to hike to Hidden Lake, or at least the overlook.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking at logan pass

Parking could be iffy but on the other hand cars are pulling in and out all the time. If your plan is to be leisurelly ( in my mind means, you really wan to take the time to see all that great places along GTTSR,) then that is your plan. you could park at a shuttle stop and take it to logan pass then back to your car.

www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/shuttlestops.htm

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking at logan pass

Don't be disappointed if you can't find a parking spot. There have been many times that a ranger is up there not allowing any one in that lot during mid day.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: parking at logan pass

Thank you. The idea to park at a shuttle stop is a good one, hadn't thought of that!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking at logan pass

You have to take the shuttles from the west side unless you can make it to Logan Pass before 9:00am. There will be NO parking available past 9:00am until 4:00pm unless God performs a miracle on your behalf. Road construction on the west side means it takes 1 hour to get from west entrance to Logan Pass this year.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: parking at logan pass

But, say we get there at 11:00. Couldn't we just wait until someone pulls out and take their spot?

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: parking at logan pass

Along with 50 other cars for one or two spaces. Plus when it gets really bad a Ranger stops cars from entering the lot.

montana slow hiker

Beverly...
Level Contributor
264 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: parking at logan pass

I tried to get in around 1PM a couple of weeks ago. Drove around for 25 minutes, and gave up. I ended up driving toward the east side for a while and then going back. I got lucky after about 3 drive-arounds and found someone pulling out. When I left around 4:30, there were plenty of spaces open.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: parking at logan pass

Take the shuttle

Smithtown, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: parking at logan pass

Utilize the free shuttle service. Or car before 10:30 or after 3:30 is best.

https://1quest2thenext.wordpress.com

Bay Area
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: parking at logan pass

Now I'm thinking we'll just try to be there really early. There aren't that many scenic turnouts where we'd want to stop between Lake McDonald and there anyway, are there?