We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

polebridge

Madison, Indiana
Level Contributor
58 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
polebridge

We are staying in west glacier and wanted to drive to Polebridge. What kind of road is it to there and how do we get there. Thanks. Will be there in 2 weeks

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: polebridge

Drive into GNP from the West Glacier entrance when you get to the four way stop sign take a left on Camus Road.

Drive to the end of Camus Road and take a right on the North Fork Road. (gravel)

The highway dept is doing some kind of test for road treatment and when I was out there about 6 weeks ago it was working great. When you get back to a sort of paved road then you are near the town of Polebridge.

Plenty of signs take a right when you get to them and then head straight to the Polebridge Merch for pastries etc.

Gas up, ice up, stock up before you go. This is a very primitive town utility wise, there is a pay phone at the Merch.

Cell phones don't work.

After you visit the merch take a left and follow the road until it crosses the North Fork into GNP. You will need to check at the entrance for what is open but the Bowman Lake Road and the Kintla Lake Road should be open.

glacierhikers.com/camping-bowman-lake.html

montana slow hiker

Safety Harbor, FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: polebridge

Hi,

I and a friend are hiking Bowman-Kintla on 9/8-13 and are hoping that we can find someone willing to help us deadhead and shuttle our car. Willing to pay for time/gas!! I was wondering if you know of anyone who could assist. We are staying at the North Fork Hostel on 9/7. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Bob Worner

Evansville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: polebridge

I have hitch hiked from Polebridge to Kintla with short waits.

Safety Harbor, FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: polebridge

Gene - that is great to hear. My concern is that we are going to be up there after Labor Day when the day hike crowds will be thin. I have spoken with the Merc and they will post a message for us in late August to see if we can get a ride confirmed...

Thanks again.

Bob

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: polebridge

go to both the Merc and to the Northern Lights the day/night before. You can ask around and often find a shuttle driver there

Safety Harbor, FL
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: polebridge

Thanks for the info! Will do!

Bob

Smithtown, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: polebridge

From Apgar visitor center just past Lake McDonald, you head up North Fork Road - only the outer road is open at this time. It's gravel and some pot holes. Eventually you reach the turn off on the right/east side for PoleBridge and a sign at the main storefront for Glacier entry.

http://1quest2thenext.wordpress.com/

8. Re: polebridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, July 17, 2014