We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Fork/itinerary advice

Richmond, Virginia
5 posts
Save Topic
North Fork/itinerary advice

My husband and I will be in Glacier for a week in late July/early August, and so far I have planned 2 days at Many Glacier, 1 day at Two Medicine, 2 days on GTTSR (although we'll still be driving it on other days), 1 day at Waterton, and half of a day (after we land) driving around Flathead Lake. Since we're fairly adventurous, I am considering trading one day on GTTSR for heading up to the North Fork/Bowman Lake. Is this a good idea? If so, should we take a canoe/kayaks? Is there any benefit to taking the Outside Road other than road quality? Is it worth going to Kintla? And finally, do we need an SUV to make the trip? I know that's a lot of questions, but these forums are just so helpful! Thanks so much!

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Fork/itinerary advice

Inner Road isn't open at this time.

YES take your kayaks! Be prepared for wind in the afternoon. Most of my canoeing was done on Kintla Lake as they don't allow power boats but I think the limit is 5 hp on Bowman.

I'm hoping to get up soon and hike to Numa Lookout. The North Fork Road is in excellent shape but Bowman Road was closed when I tried to get there about three weeks ago. It is open now. No you don't need a SUV but once you get back into the Park the road gets rougher so it is more a matter of taking it slow. Bowman is much closer then Kintla.

Northern Lights Saloon is open as is the Merch in Polebridge. Be sure to stock up before going to Polebridge, no ice, no electricity.

BTW Kintla & Bowman are the ONLY campgrounds in the park were you can gather dead firewood.

The road can be dusty if it hasn't rained. If your coming from the West Glacier then take Camus Road until it dead ends into the North Fork Road and then take a right.

pics of the lakes on these pages

glacierhikers.com/camping-bowman-lake.html

glacierhikers.com/camping-kintla-lake.html

Note: There have been several forest fires since those pics were taken.

The lakes are also popular for fishing.

Hopefully there will be Loon songs to lighten up the nights.

montana slow hiker

2. Re: North Fork/itinerary advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 14, 2014