We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging options outside the park

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
Lodging options outside the park

Our 8 night trip will have following stops: East Glacier 1 night, St. Mary/Many Glacier 3, Waterton 1, Lake McDonald 2 and Kalispell for last night stay before catching the early flight home. I have only had the East Glacier booked so far and am having difficulty to get lodging inside the park. Can you recommend a few options staying outside of the park for Many Glacier area and Lake McDonald? We'd love the stay as close as we could to save travel time.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging options outside the park

You can check lodging at Apgar, www.westglacier.com and there is Glacier Highland Resort just outside the park. These are near Lake McDonald. Near Many Glacier there is Thronson's Motel, Glacier Trailhead Cabins, Johnson's, Duck Lake to name a few. Google Babb or St. Mary and you may find more. You will still have a 20-30 minute drive to the park. Call for cancellations in the park. They do happen, you just have to be willing to take what is available, maybe not the room of your choice.

Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging options outside the park

Like Hikes said, keep checking availability... I would call rather than use the website....BTW, noticed your from Clarksville... I'm in Muray and hike with TTA out of Clarksville.. We did Cedar Trails of Lebanon Saturday

Edited: 7:39 am, May 14, 2013
Buffalo, New York...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging options outside the park

I agree about trying to grab a cancellation at Swiftcurrent or Many Glacier...tremendous views right in the mountains...everything else will be 20-30 minutes away...

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging options outside the park

google St. Mary, MT lodging and some options will pop up. Trailhead cabins is one and Duck Lake Inn another that keep you in the vicinity of MG. But the cancellations are the best option.

Byron Center...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging options outside the park

We will be coming up to GNP from YNP the last week in June... hoping to stay for 4-nights. Popup camper with a young family of 5. We may have had enough of now electricity camping. If we wanted to camp in the park, where would you suggest for first time visitors? If we wanted to camp outside of the park and grab some more amenities, where would you suggest?

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging options outside the park

Many Glacier Campground is my favorite; great location in the Park for scenery, wildlife and hiking...also has showers and a camp store a short walk away...

There are KOA Campgrounds at St. Mary and West Glacier; but they just don't feel like the experience of being right in the Park and in the mountains...

7. Re: Lodging options outside the park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park