We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier in 2 days 3 nights

Dallas
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier in 2 days 3 nights

I am taking 4 kids from Texas to Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier and finishing at Mt. Rushmore on the way home. I have all my other lodging booked and at least general activities ideas, but no real idea for Glacier. I'm driving from YNP-Mammoth to Glacier on a Sunday and leaving on Wednesday morning. I need fairly inexpensive lodging (don't camp) and ideas on what to do! My kids are 10-17 and this is late June. Thanks!

Edited: 6:54 pm, April 11, 2013
indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier in 2 days 3 nights

Since that is early in the season for Glacier you may still be able to find lodging in park. The rooms will not have TV or internet if that is important to you. Check Village Inn at Apgar for the west. Right on the shore of Lake McDonald. The road across the park may not be open. If not, drive as far as possible and then go to the east on highway 2. Try for a family room at Many Glacier. I don't believe one cabin at Swiftcurrent will be big enough for your family . These will be some of the more reasonably priced in park lodges. You could stay outside the park but this would require more driving and I'm not sure it would save you much money. On the west, Avalanche Lake is a 4 mile hike. In Many Glacier area there are boat trips and many trails that can be hiked till you encounter snow or get tired. You will still enjoy the views. Two of the easier hikes in Many are Grinnell Lake and Swiftcurrent to Bullhead Lake.

Edited: 7:51 pm, April 11, 2013
Dallas
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier in 2 days 3 nights

How inconvenient would the KOA's in East or West Glacier be?

indiana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier in 2 days 3 nights

I am not familiar with the KOA in West Glacier, but there is a KOA in St. Mary's that would be a good location.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier in 2 days 3 nights

I stayed at West Glacier KOA and visited the one on the East side...they would be good for a home base...both are only a few miles from the entrance to the Park...I prefer staying in the Park and being in the mountains, but these are good options if you you don't stay in the Park...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier in 2 days 3 nights

The Glacier Campground is closer to the West Glacier entrance - only a mile from the entrance. It is a very lovely campground - more like camping in nature than the KOA is - with large treed sites. You'll only get electricity and water though. The washrooms are kept very clean, The whole park is nicely managed, friendly staff and is quiet. They also have a nice open air restaurant - with good breakfast.

If you want something with amenities - then KOA is the right choice. They have a pool, wifi and a restaurant. This is a large campground with lots of traffic going in and out. They are located about 2 1/2 miles from the park entrance - and off the main road.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glacier in 2 days 3 nights

The KOA in St. Mary's is pretty much a parking lot. The spaces are pretty tight together, and there aren't many trees in the campground near the sites with hook-ups. There is a pool and I believe there is also a hot tub (used to be - haven't used it for years). This is not like camping in the mountains.

If you want to stay at Many Glacier - it is often difficult to get camping spots - but probably much easier in June than later in the year. The campground at Many Glacier is lovely - you would be in the mountains with trees. It doesn't have the pool and amenities of the KOA - but it could still be pretty cool that time of year. I don't know if you will use the pool anyway. If I had to pick between campgrounds in that park of the park - I'd pick Many Glacier.

Edited: 9:56 pm, April 11, 2013
indiana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glacier in 2 days 3 nights

Since you stated you don't want to camp, I assume you are looking at the cabins at the KOA. I have heard good things about the ones at St. Mary. They are supposed to be well kept and clean. Good luck with your plans.

Dallas
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glacier in 2 days 3 nights

That is right, we DON'T camp! I am looking at the kamping cabins at the KOA and we are staying at the KOA in Jackson Hole also. Will I regret NOT staying in the park? It is a HUGE cost difference per night. Itinerary suggestions?

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glacier in 2 days 3 nights

There are accomodations outside the park on the east that are minutes from the St. Mary entrance and a longer drive (20 min) to get to Many Glacier. Not a problem being outside the park and better food options. West has more overall activities in-out of the park but east is more scenic and has the better hiking (my view)

10. Re: Glacier in 2 days 3 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 14, 2014