We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Great Falls to Swift Current

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Great Falls to Swift Current

We booked our flight into Great Falls in order to see the Vaughn Rodeo in September but now the rodeo has moved and changed dates. That leaves us with an extra day so I added another night at Swift Current--making it a two night stay. We'll be going to the Charles Russell Museum the first morning before leaving for Glacier. With the afternoon of travel, are there any sights worth including on the way between destinations? We'll probably use Hwy 89 all the way.

I'm considering going to Waterton on the full day at Swiftcurrent. Or is Medicine Lake a better direction? We are non-hikers.

I'll be looking for the best photo ops and any interesting museums.

Help?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel from Great Falls to Swift Current

I just had a thought about your proposed trip to Waterton. Last year there were budget cutbacks at the border crossings and with more cuts on the horizon your trip to Waterton might be more difficult than you planned for. Last year there were often lineups over 2 hours long to cross on weekends and Canadian or American long weekends were even longer. If you decide to make that trip either avoid weekend travel or hit the border as soon as it opens so you can avoid the long waits.

You might want to recheck out this article ezbordercrossing.com/u-s-budget-cuts-impact-…

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel from Great Falls to Swift Current

Uh-oh, doesn't sound good for a day trip and we already have reservations at Swiftcurrent, so can't do an overnight. Well, hopefully, the photo nuts out there will be coming up with great ideas for us non-hikers.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travel from Great Falls to Swift Current

I just had a thought about your proposed trip to Waterton. Last year there were budget cutbacks at the border crossings and with more cuts on the horizon your trip to Waterton might be more difficult than you planned for. Last year there were often lineups over 2 hours long to cross on weekends and Canadian or American long weekends were even longer. If you decide to make that trip either avoid weekend travel or hit the border as soon as it opens so you can avoid the long waits.

You might want to recheck out this article ezbordercrossing.com/u-s-budget-cuts-impact-…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travel from Great Falls to Swift Current

When it gets closer to summer you might want to ask folks how traffic is at the Chief Mountain border crossing - they'd be able to tell you if it's a problem.

15. Re: Travel from Great Falls to Swift Current

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 17, 2014