We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental from Spokane

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental from Spokane

Planning a trip to GNP, YNP and GTNP - looking at 10-11 days with family. Was planning to fly into Spokane and fly out from Jackson hole , but the rental price for a minivan or SUV is outrageous - more than $5K on enterprise's website. That's obviously not counting lodging, and airfare- Any ideas on how to get around this or maybe just do GNP another time. Sigh!

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental from Spokane

Perhaps choosing Bozeman, MT as your airport might work. You would be between Glacier and Yellowstone and could do a big loop and fly out of Bozeman for your return.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental from Spokane

One way rentals with drop offs in different states are usually high, especially in the west. At least that has been my experience. If there is not a special reason for flying to Spokane, agree with RM, check other airports, Bozeman, Missoula or even Billings or Great Falls. All would require some driving to either park, but less than Spokane.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental from Spokane

Oh wow - that sounds much better . I came across someone choosing Billings- which one is going to be a better bet for a family with young kids- Are the drives similar? GNP back in the game.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,383 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental from Spokane

A couple of years ago we flew into Spokane and out of Billings and was lucky enough to get a great car rental rate with AAA and Hertz.

Yes you can also do a round trip out of Bozeman or Billings but would have more driving to Glacier.

A lot of the car rental places in Jackson are franchised and not owned by the company so usually more expensive.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental from Spokane

Thanks for

The input . Flying into Bozeman it is.

Washington, Michigan
Level Contributor
101 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental from Spokane

You can always try and name your own price with Priceline. They accepted a rate of $25 per day last year in Hawaii. It's worth a shot. You bid, they either accept it or they don't. Only problem is you don't know who you're getting the car from in advance.

st louis
Level Contributor
264 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental from Spokane

That will be a lot of driving for all the parks. We have spent that many days in Yellowstone and Tetons and still had things we missed. We spent 12 days in Glacier last August and Sept. Have a great visit.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental from Spokane

Ive been researching this forever. Best place price wise for rentals appears to be SLC and Idaho Falls. I recall Billings being reasonable BUT airfare out of Billings for us was not.

SLC is roughly dame distance as Spokane as I recall.

Seems it never pays to do the one way.

Dont book your car until.about four months out, then spend next six weeks booking and deleting reservations.

Right now Im looking to Sept and the prices look pretty ugly.

Hope this helps.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental from Spokane

I just re-booked my car rental yesterday. It was $100 cheaper than when I booked a month ago. So keep checking those prices!

10. Re: Car rental from Spokane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 17, 2014