We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some advice on great places to propose marriage in GNP

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
Save Topic
Need some advice on great places to propose marriage in GNP

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Glacier at the end of July, and plan on camping at different places around the park. We will be doing many day hikes and will be prepared to hike up to 15 miles a day. What I need help with is finding a great spot to propose to her. Ideally it would be somewhere that has an amazing view, but isn't terribly difficult to get to. Thanks in advance for the tips.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some advice on great places to propose marriage in GNP

Early morning at Wild Goose Island Overlook is nice, but there may be others there taking sunrise pics. It has an amazing view and right along the road, so easy to get to.

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some advice on great places to propose marriage in GNP

Thanks! I'll take a look there. Also, I should note, I'm not too worried about it being a private location. I obviously don't want to pop the question surrounded by tour buses, but being among a few fellow hikers/park visitors is fine.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
611 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some advice on great places to propose marriage in GNP

From a female perspective...I think HIdden Lake Overlook would be romantic and incredibly scenic. The trail starts at Logan Pass Visitor's Center and it's a little over a mile to the overlook. The scenery getting there and surrounding the overlook is spectacular.

hikinginglacier.com/hidden-lake-overlook.htm

Or, you could rent a boat at Two Medicien Lake - one of my favorite spots in the park.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
444 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some advice on great places to propose marriage in GNP

Hidden Lake Overlook would be a great place (about 3 miles RT)! Fairly easy to get to and the view is out of this world - a bit crowded though.

Another suggestion would be Iceberg Lake (around 9 miles RT, but a fairly level hike with beautiful views along the way and a wonderful lake which should still have icebergs floating on them at the end of July). You could pack a nice picnic lunch, hike to the lake, sit there enjoying the view and make a day of it. Though you won't have the place to yourself, there are plenty of places to be away from others - regardless, you still won't be over-run with people.

Take a look at some photos here on TA of both places to see if either fits the bill. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Both would make a memorable experience. Congrat's and best wishes!

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some advice on great places to propose marriage in GNP

Two Medicine

This area was once the hub of activity for the park, but the building of the Going-to-the-Sun Road pushed most activity further north. That's probably an OK thing for most visitors to this, now quieter, section of Glacier. As you can see the scenery is still as spectacular as ever.

the side porch of the store overlooks the lake and you will most likely be alone. with her and your thoughts also think about staying at pine mountain motel in east glacier quiet clean and way cool. best place I ever stayed

Edited: 3:01 pm, March 07, 2013
montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some advice on great places to propose marriage in GNP

Rocky Point on Lake McDonald! This is on the west side of the Park, and is easily accessible through the Fish Creek Campground. It's an easy trail, and from the campground it would be a walk, not a hike. Once you get to Rocky Point, there are several little nooks and open spaces where you can sit on rocks overlooking the sweeping view of Lake McDonald and the incredible mountains in front of you. If it's a nice, hot day, take the plunge! (into the lake as well) If it's late in the evening, you'll be treated to an amazing sunset.

Being on the west side would put you in close range of a fine dining establishment, the Belton Chalet, in case you wanted to celebrate by eating out instead of by the campfire.

What a fun question to respond to! I hope I am one of the friendly folks happening by when this magical moment happens.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
22 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some advice on great places to propose marriage in GNP

I love, love, love the Many Glacier Area. I agree that Iceberg would make a memorable location. Nice hike, plenty of room to picnic at the top, spectacular scenery. I'm also fond of the deck area at Many Glacier Hotel in the evening. I agree with River Days-I hope we're lucky enough to be there when it happens...You were thinking late August, right? That's convenient for me!

Two Medicine is another great location, especially if that is one of the areas you will be camping in. There are many scenic spots around the campground and picnic area, as well as on many of the trails in the area.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Need some advice on great places to propose marriage in GNP

I like the hill behind the parking lot of the Many Glacier Hotel as an idea...follow the road behind the dorm building at the back of the parking lot...up on top gives you an amazing view over the top of the Hotel with the lake and the peaks (Wilbur, Swiftcurrent, Gould, Grinnell Point) as a background...you are unlikely to encounter other people and it is a 1/4 mile hike uphill...it is a flat grassy area...where you could sit right down and talk and admire the view...

Edited: 6:44 pm, March 08, 2013
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
444 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need some advice on great places to propose marriage in GNP

Ryan, you peaked my interest with your question back in March. You can't leave us hanging.....Did you propose to your girlfriend while in Glacier? If so, which location did you choose?

10. Re: Need some advice on great places to propose marriage in GNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 20, 2014