We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Stay in GNP?

san diego
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Short Stay in GNP?

I am taking my two kids (9 & 13) to a horse ranch in WY the last week in July. After, we plan to drive through Yellowstone and Grand Teton for three days. That leaves us with four days, which I am contemplating flying up to GNP. We will fly from Jackson, but to what airport? Kalispell? Fares seem steep for that short distance. Any suggestions? (ex., is the train scenic and reasonably short? or is it worth driving?).

Is three or four days really too short to drive through GNP? I am interested mainly in short hikes and rafting. Do you think that maybe this is too much in too short a time?

Lastly, what are the "have to sees" of GNP? Thanks for your input, doesn't feel like I have much time to plan.

san diego
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Short Stay in GNP?

Thank you all for your responses. Yes, after checking out all the airlines, I have figured that it is much too expensive to fly up there. Maybe for the return flight home I can do it, but I am feeling too squeezed for time. I really think two nights in Yellowstone and two nights in Teton are awfully tight, and that would only leave me with one full day in GNP. I think I'm going to have to pass on this trip, unless anyone thinks a one day drive through yellowstone and one day in Teton are worth the trade off to have two days in GNP......(hey, you have been there, I haven't, let me know if it really is....)

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Short Stay in GNP?

It's all about how you like to spend your vacation time, and what will leave you feeling the most refreshed. If lots of drive time appeals to you, by all means go to GNP. If slowing down and getting out of the California rush-rush-gotta-get-it-all-done-now mode is more appealing, then plan a second trip at a later time to Kalispell and GNP. Each place you plan to visit is uniquely different, and none should be missed, and each one could give you the trip of a lifetime, all based on your attitude for embracing whatever comes your way each day.

san diego
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Short Stay in GNP?

Great response, Riverdays. Sounds like GNP is worth a trip of its own.

Sof
New York
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Short Stay in GNP?

Where to stay in Glacier? You're probably too late for reservations inside the park - although it's worth a few phone calls (GlacierParkInc.com, (406) 892-2525) since you never know when someone's going to cancel. If you can get it, inside the park is best esp. when you have limited time. Otherwise St. Mary's is a great location - convenient to Many Glacier and the rest of the east side (best hiking IMO). If you only have 3 days spend 2 on the eastside and 1 on the west. Since you're coming up from the south you can get to either side for a starting point and then take Going-to-the-Sun Rd to get from one side to the other. I wouldn't stay in Kalispell as a base (too far-hours- from east side hikes) except perhaps on your arrival or departing night. If you're going to fly home from Montana, try Missoula (west) or Great Falls (east). They are both approx. 3 hours from GNP but may be cheaper than Kalispell and still better than driving all the way back to Jackson. Glacier is 6+ hours from West Yellowstone or Gardiner (north YNP exit) but it is approx. 9 hours from Jackson.

Sof
New York
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Short Stay in GNP?

Woops! I replied at the end of the last page and didn't see these last 2 posts. Seems like you lost some days... thought you had 4 days to spare. I absolutely agree - rush, rush through Tetons and YNP just to rush through Glacier leaves each place short changed and you very harried and exhausted from too much driving in too little time. One day is not enough for any of those places. Do GTNP and YNP this time since you're already in WY and save Glacier for another time. If you like to hike, you can easily kill a week there. But don't just write it off as too far. Make time to get there on another vacation. I almost skipped it, but a friend talked me into going and I thanked him when we got back. It was our favorite part of a 3 week trip Montana -Wyoming-Utah.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Short Stay in GNP?

Hi

Maybe it's a good idea to drive to Yellowstone's NE entrance and to drive the incredible Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge and south to Cody for the night. Cody is a nice place with lots of things to do (Rodeo!) and drive back to Yellowstone next day through amazing scenery again. Hope this helps.

Tet

17. Re: Short Stay in GNP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 13, 2009