We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few days in Glacier

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
A few days in Glacier

Greetings!

I am planning to spend a few days in Glacier this summer. Namely, July 1st through July 5th. I had a few questions for the experts here at the Glacier forum.

1. I know this sounds naive, but I have no reservations yet for the park. Does this mean a trip this summer is out of the question?

2. Where can I find affordable lodging for the few nights I'm there? I don't mind driving into the park every day

3. What are some must see sights in the park? I am an avid hiker and would love to get some day hikes in, but I am passionate about seeing the very best of Glacier.

4. How bad is the bear population there? I've only dealt with black bear along the Appalachia Trail and have no experience in Grizzly territory.

Thanks in advance everyone. I know I'm a little late, but I hope I can still see the park this summer!

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: A few days in Glacier

I am planning to spend a few days in Glacier this summer. Namely, July 1st through July 5th. I had a few questions for the experts here at the Glacier forum.

This is early for prime Glacier season which starts in mid-July...the whole GTTS road generally opens late June or early July...many higher elevation hikes may still be covered by snow and possibly impassable...it depends on the year...you won't know until days oe a few weeks before the visit which hikes will be open...

1. I know this sounds naive, but I have no reservations yet for the park. Does this mean a trip this summer is out of the question?

check glacierparkinc.com, they are the Park concessioner for the hotels in the Park...if you are a hiker, I highly advise staying on the East side of the Park, preferably Many Glacier area (MG Hotel or Swiftcurrent Inn)...

2. Where can I find affordable lodging for the few nights I'm there? I don't mind driving into the park every day...

See above...Swiftcurrent Inn is reasonable and in the best part of the Park...

3. What are some must see sights in the park? I am an avid hiker and would love to get some day hikes in, but I am passionate about seeing the very best of Glacier.

Hike Grinnell Glacier and Iceberg Lake in MG area and Hidden Lake and/or Highline at Logan Pass...stop at Sun Point on GTTS road...

4. How bad is the bear population there? I've only dealt with black bear along the Appalachia Trail and have no experience in Grizzly territory.

I've hiked over 700 miles at Glacier since 2008...seen bears every year...I highly recommend buying bear spray when you get there (I wouldn't hike there without it)...but you probably won't need it...

Thanks in advance everyone. I know I'm a little late, but I hope I can still see the park this summer!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
611 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few days in Glacier

While Many Glacier is the area of the park to spend time in, you might want to consider the Two Medicine area too. East Glacier Park has lots of mom and pop motels which are pretty inexpensive. We've stayed at Jacobson's Cottages many times. Although it's about a 75 minute drive to the Many Glacier area from there.

Two Medicine has some spectacular hikes too, Scenic Point, Dawson Pass and one of my very favorites, Pitamakan Pass.

www.hikinginglacier.com/pitamakan-pass.htm

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few days in Glacier

The Great Bear Lodge in St. Mary used to run specials for early July (around $95), nicer property and good location for park access. Swiftcurrent cabin is best option however. As noted, trails snowed in higer up but you can do partial trails, which means a lot of out and back hiking

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A few days in Glacier

Anyone ever stay at Circle R Motel? $58 for old crappy rooms sounds like a great deal. I don't mind if its not nice.

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few days in Glacier

You may want to look at Mountain Pine Motel in East Glacier. It's rates are on the low side and it gets excellent reviews on TA.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few days in Glacier

Second Mountain Pine. Stayed a number of times. Clean basic and reasonable.

7. Re: A few days in Glacier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 18, 2014