We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning a trip at Glacier national park ?

Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Help planning a trip at Glacier national park ?

I'm currently planning for a backpacking trip to Glacier national park during second week of July. I'm going with Glacier guides Montana raft company for a 8 day (hike/raft) combination trip from July 7th to 14th. After this hiking/raft trip I'm thinking about spending 5 more days (July 15th-19th) at the park and try to explore the park by

myself and fly back to New Jersey on July 20th morning. I'll be renting a car for these 5 days. I need some help on planning this portion of my trip. Appreciate some inputs on following questions... I will be travelling alone and need to ensure I indulge only in safe activities :)

a) Is Redbus tour a good option ? They have many trips available.. Any suggestions on which tours to take ?

I might take one red bus tour and drive the other routes myself.

b)I would like to stay in one lodge which is at a convenient location and has amenties like restaurants and shops. And also at a convenient and safe location. Is Lake Mcdonald's lodge or Many Glacier Hotel a reasonable option ? I dont want to spend a fortune but need some basic amenties like electricity and bath rooms :)

c)Any suggestions on things to do ? I might take a shorter day hikes. Any suggestions on good hikes ?

d)Apart from Redbus tour are there any good guided trips around ?

Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help planning a trip at Glacier national park ?

Does anyone know how much these ranger led hikes cost approximately ?

Glacier guides is doing High line trail and Iceberg lake hikes and they cost $75 each ? Are ranger led hikes as expensive as Glacier guides ?

Based on my reservations I have 2 days around Lake Mcdonald lodge and 3 days at St.Mary lodge.

I definitely want to do Grinnel Glacier and Ice berg lake.. Is planning more than one hike per day too much ? I have only 5 days and the hiking options at Glacier is too overwhelming. LOL.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help planning a trip at Glacier national park ?

Ranger led hikes are free. The only cost you would incur would be the boat trip on the hike to Grinnell Glacier. As for more than one hike a day, that is up to you. I can do a longer trail and then maybe one that is two or so miles. My knees will not allow much over 12-15 miles in one day. Especially with a lot of elevation gain/loss.

Edited: 3:21 pm, January 28, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
619 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help planning a trip at Glacier national park ?

If you find some of the trails in the Many Glacier area are still snow covered, think about spending a day in the Two Medicine area. It's about an hour's drive south of St. Mary and there are some incredible trails in that area. Both Dawson Pass and Scenic Point have ranger led hikes available and are two of my favorite in that area.

www.hikinginglacier.com/dawson-pass.htm

www.hikinginglacier.com/scenic-point.htm

Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Help planning a trip at Glacier national park ?

I have made all the reservations for my upcoming trip to GNP. Here is my planned itineary for the trip.

I might have to do some adjustments to ranger led hikes once the schedule is out for 2013 summer. Any idea when they release the ranger led hiking schedule for 2013 ?

Do you guys see any logistic issues with the itinerary ?

July 6th : Fly into GNP at Kallispelli airport from NY, Taxi to Glacier Guides Lodge and spend the night there.

July 7th -12th : 6 day backpacking trip with Glacier Guides. Return to Glacier guides lodge on 12th evening

July 13th-14th : 2 day rafting trip with Glacier guides, Upon return take a taxi to airport to pick the rental car and drive back to GNP. Check into Lake Mcdonald Lodge

July 15th : Drive to Logan pass area for the Siyeh pass ranger led hike.

July 16th : Checkout of Mcdonald lodge and do Highline trail hike with Glacier guides

Drive to St.Mary's lodge after the hike where I have reservation for rest of my time

July 17th : Grinnel Glacier Hike(Ranger led)

July 18th : Scenic Point hike (Ranger led)

July 19th : Checkout of St.Mary lodge & do Iceberg lake hike with Glacier Guides

After the hike drive out of the park and reach the motel close to the airport(reserved already)

July 20th : Early morning check out of motel, drop off rental car at airport and fly out of Glacier back to NY

Edited: 1:53 pm, April 18, 2013
Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help planning a trip at Glacier national park ?

Wow! That itinerary is the Glacier dream vacation. Consider this though. After hiking mileage with a huge pack , you might think the ranger led hikes are a little slow paced for your taste. If this is the case, do not feel like you have to hang back with the group.

My preference is to skip the ranger led hikes. Although, you will learn alot, they seem to take alot of breaks and the group can only go as fast as the slowest one. Also my one andd only experience on such a hike included 20 know it all boy scouts with their scoutmasters...and they all had whistles :^(

Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help planning a trip at Glacier national park ?

Thanks. I travel by myself and am not a confident hiker yet. So would prefer a group to do these hikes.

If I find some one to hike with then I'll probably skip the ranger led hikes. Any idea when they release the calendar schedule of ranger led hikes ?

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Help planning a trip at Glacier national park ?

Fantastic itinerary!!!

I promise that despite having two weeks, you'll leave wishing that your trip was longer....

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Help planning a trip at Glacier national park ?

Grinnell ranger led hike has in the past been seven days a week at 8 am at the boat dock ~ you should make boat reservations at least 48 hours in advance.

Good chance that the hike won't go all the way to Grinnell at that time of year.

However it is still very much worth doing as the view down to Grinnell Lake is breath taking.

The schedule will most likely be published sometime in June. I never seen the ranger led hike on Scenic Point so I don't think it is seven days a week. Iceberg Lake Trail also has a seven day a week ranger led hike around 8 am. (pretty sure on the time)

montana slow hiker

Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Help planning a trip at Glacier national park ?

Any suggestions on restaurants having vegetarian options inside Glacier national park ? Are there any options outside the park near east and west entrances ? I might need to find some places near Lake Mcdonald & St.Mary Lodges where I'll be staying. It will be great to know at other parts of park too as I have plans to hike near many glacier & Logan pass areas.

20. Re: Help planning a trip at Glacier national park ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 22, 2014