We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Microspikes for mid July hikes on snow covered trails?

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Microspikes for mid July hikes on snow covered trails?

My husband and I will be visiting GNP mid July and plan to hike Highline, Hidden Lake (down to lake), Grinnell Glacier, Cracker Lake, Swiftcurrent Pass, Scenic Point in Two Medicine, Triple Divide from Cut Bank, etc if they are open.

Since some trails, although open, might still be snow covered, how about using microspikes on the snow covered portion of such trails?

Are there trails that are open with snow cover which are considered hike-able, while others are closed because the snow cover is so deep or trails too steep and considered too dangerous?

Just wondering if we should bring microspikes along.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Microspikes for mid July hikes on snow covered trails?

Microspikes are a good idea for mid-July; I used them in 2011 during that time period...

Remember though that for some trails, Microspikes will not be enough to safely hike (you may need crampons or the trails may be completely closed)

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Microspikes for mid July hikes on snow covered trails?

Thanks toddnick.

We will avoid any trails that require crampons or are closed.

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Microspikes for mid July hikes on snow covered trails?

Hidden Lake Overlook Trail in parts microspikes would be a good idea. I have used crampons, snowshoes and hiking boots on that trail depending upon conditions.

Hidden Lake Trail on the other hand is very steep, tall rock steps. I don't go down unless the snow has melted on the steep section. You can see this section from the Overlook.

www.glacierhikers.com/hidden-lake.html

Not matter what the weather and snow conditions are you will see people hiking that trail in flip flops and shorts cuz it's July!

montana slow hiker

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Microspikes for mid July hikes on snow covered trails?

montana slow hiker: Thanks for the guidance. We will take a look from the Overlook regarding trail condition before venturing down to the Lake.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Microspikes for mid July hikes on snow covered trails?

I have never used micro spikes but hiking poles work really well for me when crossing snow fields.

6. Re: Microspikes for mid July hikes on snow covered trails?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 13, 2014