We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need recommendations for itinerary for September trip

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
169 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Need recommendations for itinerary for September trip

My original plan for an itinerary was 3 days in the West Glacier area, 3 days at Many Glacier and 3 days at Waterton. Since reading through some of the recommendations on the forum I'm planning to adjust my itinerary to spend more time at Many Glacier. Here are my questions:

1. My plan was to fly into Kalispell and travel west to east through the park, then up north to Waterton, flying home (to Wisconsin) from Great Falls. Does this make sense or should we take the opportunity to drive back through the park, east to west, and fly home from Kalispell?

2. How does the Waterton area compare to other areas of the park? We like to hike but because of our age and health, cannot do hikes of more than 5 miles. Are there shorter hikes in the Waterton area?

3. Having driven by the Prince of Wales Hotel many years ago, I've wanted to stay there ever since. It's pricey - is it worth it?

4. I was planning to schedule our trip for the first 2 weeks in September after Labor Day. I gather it will be less crowded at that time but will all the wild flowers be gone? What else should I consider about visiting Glacier in September. We're retired so our schedule is flexible.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Need recommendations for itinerary for September trip

None of the campgrounds in the park have electricity. that does not mean you can't camp there. you will just have to use your generator. There are KOAs in west Glacier and St Mary.

Marshfield...
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Need recommendations for itinerary for September trip

I second and third the suggestions to visit Polebridge area. The North Fork Road is a blast to drive on, there's beautiful views and interesting houses (people living off the grid). We took a hike up to a place called Hidden Meadow. It's right past the Mercantile and the Polebridge Ranger station. It's a great hike through some beautiful woods and the end result is very relaxing. We ended up taking a quick nap underneath a beautiful tree and were woken up by a visit from a skunk passing through. Nothing earth shattering but it was one of my favorite moments of our trip.

13. Re: Need recommendations for itinerary for September trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 11, 2014