We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Swiftcurrent to Logan Pass in September

England
Level Contributor
32 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Swiftcurrent to Logan Pass in September

Hi all,

My first time posting on this forum, but thanks already to all the DEs - I've found so much useful info here!

I have a quick question about transportation - we are planning on coming to the park in September 2013 (from 8th-12th) and starting to plan a few things we'd like to do. We'll be staying for 3 nights at the Swiftcurrent Inn and would really like to do the Highline - Swiftcurrent hike. I'm aware that the shuttles won't be running at this time of year; we do have a car but obviously if we leave it at one end of the trail we'll need to get back to it! I'm assuming we'd have to rely on hitching a lift with someone in the morning up to Logan's Pass, unless anyone knows of any other options?

Any ideas welcomed!

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Swiftcurrent to Logan Pass in September

It is a great hike!!!

There is no convenient way to do this....

The East side shuttle $10, run by GPI will still be running,,,so, you can get from Swiftcurrent to St. Mary Visitor's Center...but there is no shuttle from St. Mary to Logan Pass...

Options include hitchhiking, arranging extra car with another tourist, offering money to an employee to drive you there...

England
Level Contributor
32 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Swiftcurrent to Logan Pass in September

Thank you - I thought that would be the answer but just wanted to check I hadn't missed anything! Will just have to see how it goes when we get there, if we can't get a lift will probably just have to do the Highline to Haystack trip as a shorter loop.

Thanks again!

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Swiftcurrent to Logan Pass in September

Well GPI does run a hikers shuttle during that time frame but getting accurate information regarding it is somewhat of a challenge. I will need to dig through my notes and see if I can find a copy of GPI schedule which if my memory serves me correctly covers what you are looking for and was somewhere around $25.00.

Sadly no one except for the drivers ever seems to know anything about the GPI shuttle system.

Contact me in about a week as I'm still struggling to get ready for winter here in Montana.

slow hiker

www.glacierhikers.com

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Swiftcurrent to Logan Pass in September

Well it seems my memory was wrong. GPI shuttle stops the same day that NPS shuttle stops.

Hitchhiking seems to be your only option.

You might want to think about driving to Logan Pass and hiking back to Many Glacier then you could take your time the next day to get back to your car.

GPI link page to their shuttle

www.glacierparkinc.com/tour_detail.php?id=1

slow hiker

www.glacierhikers.com

England
Level Contributor
32 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Swiftcurrent to Logan Pass in September

Thanks for your replies slow hiker. Guess it's just a shame none of the shuttles run any later in the season, especially as September is such a good month for hiking. But I assume they don't have the same visitor numbers to make it viable. We'll still find plenty to do however it works out!

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Swiftcurrent to Logan Pass in September

I know the GPI web site says the hiker shuttle ends Sept 3 but having worked at two lodges in recent summers, I'm almost positive the hikers shuttle still operated till mid Sept. I'd call GPI to make sure.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Swiftcurrent to Logan Pass in September

In 2012, East Side Shuttle from Swiftcurrent to St. Mary was available until late September...see attachment...

glacierparkinc.com/images/…20Brochure.pdf

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Swiftcurrent to Logan Pass in September

Todd what I was looking for was a hikers shuttle to Logan Pass that started after the NPS shuttle closed down. I can't seems to find any reference to it but then GPI has multiple conflicting documents.

slow hiker

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Swiftcurrent to Logan Pass in September

having worked for GPI that does not surprise me one bit!

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Swiftcurrent to Logan Pass in September

Not to beat a dead horse but there is an * next to the 9am departure time that it only ran until 9-3-12

the 4 pm departure did run until 9-28-12

I only figured that out after looking at a pic I took of the actual sign at Swiftcurrent Motor Inn

I still think driving to Logan Pass and hiking back to Many Glacier then hitchhiking back to Logan Pass is the best option.

slow hiker

Plus for those of you taking the shuttle from Many Glacier Hotel be aware that the first pick up spot is at Swiftcurrent Motor Inn!