We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip to Glazier for middle of July 2013

Louisiana
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Planning trip to Glazier for middle of July 2013

Changed plans from May to July now. Would the west side of Glacier be a good base place to go in & out of the park doing hikes daily? How far is the drive from the West to Waterton?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
452 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning trip to Glazier for middle of July 2013

How long are your planning to spend in the park? What are some of the activities you plan to do?

In general, I would spend some time on both sides of the park. Each has something to offer. However, the east side has most of your hiking trails.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning trip to Glazier for middle of July 2013

If you plan on spending any time hiking or just sight seeing on the east (Many Glacier area, not East Glacier the town) I would spend a few days there. Driving from the west to Many Glacier area is 2+ hours each way. A day trip to Waterton is an hour from Many Glacier but 3 from West Glacier.

Edited: 7:13 pm, August 26, 2012
buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning trip to Glazier for middle of July 2013

West side (if you are a hiker) is a big mistake (in my opinion)...way too much driving time to get to Many Glacier (#1 hiking area...2.5 hours one way)...Logan Pass is OK (#2 hiking area...1 hour one way)...Two Medicine (#3 hiking area...1.5-2 hours one way)....

Many travelers post after their first trip to the Park that they made a mistake by staying (home base) on the West side (because there are more accomodations)....especially hikers...

Louisiana
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning trip to Glazier for middle of July 2013

We are planning to stay about 10-12 days. Flying into Kalispell. Would rather stay on the out skirts of the park.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning trip to Glazier for middle of July 2013

Even if you aren't a hiker, I'd recommend at least half your stay be on the East side as it has better mountain scenery and wildlife viewing....

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
452 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning trip to Glazier for middle of July 2013

I completely agree with Toddnick. You'll want to spend at least half your time on the East side of the park - especially if you plan on hiking each day (I would actually say closer to a 3:1 ratio). Without a doubt, the Many Glacier area is the "HUB" for hiking. The park is simply too large to be traveling back and forth over the Going to the Sun highway each day - far too much wasted time.

Should you decide to split up your lodging between the West and East sides of the park, I would suggest staying either in Babb or St. Mary. East Glacier is too far away from most areas of interest.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning trip to Glazier for middle of July 2013

What are your reasons for wanting to stay on the outskirts of the park? Do your prefer amenities that aren't available in park (TV, cell and internet)? If so, I still recommend at least a couple of nights at either Many Glacier or Swiftcurrent lodge in park. You could drive from St. Mary, but if I had the choice, I would want to be right in the Many Glacier valley, hiking and beautiful scenery right at your doorstep. The west side can be visited much easier than the east from Whitefish, Kalispell or Columbia Falls if they offer more of what you are looking for in amenities. I don't think you will regret staying three to five nights in park, especially since you have 10-12 days.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning trip to Glazier for middle of July 2013

Thanks for all the input everybody. I will definitly look at places in Babb or St. Mary. My husband likes to stay in a more secluded area away from the crowds. But I will check into the other places mentioned. I am just starting to look so I may have other questions later. Do they close the park after the sun goes down. Just thinking about the time we would arrive at the airport in Kalispell? Would it be best to just stay somewhere around there just for that one night, then drive the next morning to a location on the east side? Oh we plan on hiking everyday if possible.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
206 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning trip to Glazier for middle of July 2013

No, the park doesn't close when the sun sets, but if your arriving late you may want to spend the night in a place like Apgar Village Inn...... On the West side... And... in mid-July, many of the trails may not be hikable due to snowcover..

Edited: 8:57 pm, August 27, 2012
10. Re: Planning trip to Glazier for middle of July 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 29, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park