We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Advice

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
89 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking Advice

Hi,

My husband and I will be in GNP for 3 full days during the labor day weekend. We wanted some help in finding the best hikes not to be missed. We are in good physical shape and anywhere between 5 - 10 miles would be good.

Thanks,

Divya

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
275 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Advice

Try the Highline hike to Haystack Pass and back. I believe it's 7 miles roundtrip. Park at Logan's Pass. You start and end at your car

I've never done this but I hear great things about it from those that have. My wife and I are heading out next week and will be hiking it. Enjoy your trip

Edited: 12:33 pm, August 21, 2012
Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Advice

I agree with Mobile on the Highline to Haystack

www.glacierhikers.com/highline-trail.html

It's 8 miles round trip to Haystack but you can turn around whenever you want.

A shorter hike at Logan Pass is to Hidden Lake Overlook which is totally snow free.

www.glacierhikers.com/hidden-lake.html

Mountain goats can usually be seen on the snow fields near the trail

Marmots have been active in the boardwalk area of the trail.

Recently haven't seen any Big Horn Rams but also haven't been up there late in the day lately.

Currently the view is not as sharp as usual to forest fires west of Glacier Park. (actually west of Montana)

It did rain at the pass yesterday afternoon so it might have cleared up some.

On the west side Avalanche lake Trail is four miles round trip.

www.glacierhikers.com/avalanche-lake.html

On the far north east side in Many Glacier the Swiftcurrent Pass Trail is basically flat for the first four miles.

www.glacierhikers.com/redrock-falls.html

Hope that helps

slow hiker

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Advice

All the below are 5-10 miles and excellent hikes....

Highline to Haystack (if you do Highline to Loop with shuttle it is 11 miles)

Grinnell Glacier

Iceberg Lake

Ptarmigan Tunnel

Siyeh Pass Loop (actually this is 10.5 miles)

Edited: 1:00 pm, August 21, 2012
Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Advice

Might be late for iceberg lake as the bergs may be gone. Hidden lake also right there at Logan, 3 mi. r.t. and has goats and views (very easy)

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
611 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking Advice

You didn't indicate which side of the park you were staying at which could make a difference on which hikes you decide to take since travel time from each side can take a 1-2 hours.

All of the above hikes are excellent suggestions and it will be hard to choose from! Be sure to check with a ranger station day before your hike to make sure the trail is not closed due to bear activity. If you decide on Grinnell, you'll need to take the boat ride from the Many Glacier hotel across both lakes to get to the trailhead. That boat is always full, so be sure to buy your ticket a day in advance.

http://www.glacierparkboats.com/

If you decide on the Highline Trail (which I strongly recommend!), be sure to get to Logan Pass early as parking can be an issue.

If you have lots of energy, you can actually do Iceberg Lake and Ptarmigan Tunnel in the same hike. Ptarmigan is such a unique hike to a really cool historical tunnel:

www.hikinginglacier.com/ptarmigan-tunnel.htm

So many hikes...so little time! Enjoy!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
206 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking Advice

As of Monday Iceberg Lake had lot's and lot's of ice... big chunks too, bus size pieces... surprised me!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking Advice

Hi Divya...I will be there with my girlfriend during that time as well. From a lot of research and no real experience at GNP (I hiked the Beartooth Pass , south part of montana, on a ten day back pack excursion 35 years ago tho!~) here is what I have done for an itinerary...Flying into Kalispell on Fri. land at 1:00. Going to stay at Lake McDonald lodge for that evening. While at this area (west side of park) and with only the afternoon to explore we have decided to try to make the 3:00 boat ride on Lake McDonald. Its an hour long. Then up to Trail of the Cedars for a short easy hike. If we have the energy and enough daylight perhaps continue on to Avalanche Lake. Early next morning driving to St Mary's area to catch the boat ride and hike to St Mary's Falls. This is supposed to be a relatively easy hike as well and is a guided one thru either NPS or glacier boats, not sure which. From advise here the only issue will be getting to St Mary's on time because its hard not to stop on Goint To The Sun rd too many times!. That afternoon we are going up to Waterton and the Prince of Wales hotel for either a short hike and dinner at the hotel. perhaps the sunset there! then back to St Mary's Lodge for the night. (is it true, anyone, that the border is impassable after 11 PM???). Next morning driving to Many Glacier area and the boat and guided hike to Grinnell Lake or energy willing Grinnell Glacier. Evidently this hike is a must. That afternoon we plan on checking out Going To The Sun Rd and its many places. One hike we will try that afternoon is Hidden Lake. ( again on much research it seems to be a must). That evening will be hanging at Many Glacier Lodge and scanning the mountains on our lakeside balcony for wildlife and imbibing on a few cocktails!! Our final day is up i the air. Either doing a hike at the Two Medicine area (twin falls or if we are inspired maybe a Dawson Pass hike. If we decide not to go to Two Medicine we are going back top GTTS rd and hiking the beginning of the Highline Trail . Of course we will be checking out the Logan Pass area during that time. From the responses I have received it seems like the negatives are too much driving and our hikes are shorter, easier hikes and not too much 'alone time'. The positives seem to indicate that the hikes we have chosen are very good ones to get a taste of the Park. Anyone reading this please give any suggestions for us while helping Divya with hers! Much appreciated. (also Divya , A little concerned with all the bear talk so we are trying to make the afternoon hikes be accompanied with other hikers. Maybe we will see you out there! haha). Hoped this helped. A GREAT site , with video and lots of info on specific hikes is hike734.com. Also check out NPS website and go to 'plan your trip'. lots of info there as well. Good Luck, Rich

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking Advice

Scenic Point out of two medicine. Gorgeous views and you might run into two, three people the whole time.

www.glacierhikers.com/mt-henry-trail.html

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking Advice

Looks like Chief Mt. border crossing closes at 11p.m. each night. Try this site

http://www.watertonpark.com/maps/tchief.htm

Edited: 1:47 pm, August 23, 2012
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
89 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking Advice

Thanks for all these amazing responses. I will be reaching GNP at St Mary (driving from Great Falls) on Sat morning at 10. Camping at the St Mary campgrounds that night.. Next night I will be camping at McDonald campgrounds. I am sold on Highline hike. And Iceberg as I want to see some bergs/glaciers.. I don't mind the snow.

I will be doing the GTTS drive too.

Any thing else I should not be missing?