We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update Logan Pass parking

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Update Logan Pass parking

For those of you who are planing on cruising around the Logan Pass parking lot ~ NPS is blocking the entrance to the Logan Pass parking lot when it is full!

slow hiker

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
611 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update Logan Pass parking

Wow, that doesn't make sense as people are constantly coming and going! What about if you just want to turn around there?

indiana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update Logan Pass parking

Last time we were at Glacier, they did the same thing. It really made for a traffic mess. As lahord59 stated, many people were just wanting to travel to that point and turn around (including us!). We could also see empty parking spots but you could not turn into the lot. I know this is a congested area, but it seems there should be a better way to handle it than closing the parking area. It also made problems just to the west of Logan as people were going to that small parking area to try and turn around.

Edited: 8:27 am, July 28, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update Logan Pass parking

Just back from GNP trip. Was at Logan Pass last thursday and there was plenty of parking at 9:30 a.m. and hordes of cars cruising for parking places when we left at 12:30. So do try to get there early for parking.

Also, People, there are several small snow fields on the hike to the hidden lake overlook. The number of folks attempting this in flip flops with young children was amazing and, IMHO, stupid. Many better shod kids were having fun sliding around on the snow tho! I felt like a bit of a berk carrying hiking poles on the boardwalk at the beginning, but they really made the snowy bits a piece of cake! So if you have them, bring them.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
206 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update Logan Pass parking

I understand water is now available at Logan's Pass, are the toilets that were planned also functional?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update Logan Pass parking

Yes toilets but no sinks in the bathroom. There was a water fountain outside the bathroom.

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update Logan Pass parking

There were two water fountains but as of a few days ago one was broken. Cold water and small water outlet designed for filling water bottles

There are now actual two toilet buildings at Logan Pass the main one under the Visitor Center and a new one at the parking lot level.

slow hiker

Greenville, North...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Update Logan Pass parking

Does anyone know if when they close the logan pass lot ......if there is an attendent that monitors the lot flow....letting in new cars in as cars leave?

Is it roped off?

Is there a place to wait?

Thanks so much for any info

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update Logan Pass parking

Kristen

The last time that I was up was after sundown and raining with 4 cars in the lot at that time of day they don't rope off the entrance.

The week before I was up mid day on the shuttle and the entrance was roped off and they were not letting anyone into the lot.

My guess is that when they have an extra body they rope it off but it seems to be hit or miss.

There is no place to wait, Oberlin parking lot is torn up again for about the fifth time (ok I don't have an actual count).

If your heading east you would drive to the parking area at Lunch Creek. Going west you might have to go as far as The Loop.

If I'm not going to be there early or late I take the shuttle.

slow hiker

Greenville, North...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Update Logan Pass parking

Thanks for the info!

We won't make to Logan pass lot until about 10am ...coming from west side and want to hike highline in and out and have an overnight stay at Granite Park.

If the Logan lot is full.....it looks like continuing down east side their are shuttle stops at.... Siyeh Bend, Gunsightpass & St Mary's falls.

Can we leave a vehicle overnight at these lots?

How likely is it the shuttles will be already full coming from east side to Logan for 3 people? Just trying to decide this option or circle back around for another pass at The Logan lot...we'd like to get hiking to the Chalet as early as we can.

Ive read the shuttles at loop for 3 are near impossiable.

Thanks again for any tips or info

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Update Logan Pass parking

Yes, you can leave a vehicle at those sites. They are also parking places for backcountry hikers that depart/return to those sites.