We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Burns,MN
1 post
Save Topic
Where to stay?

My family and I are visiting the park in July. I wanted to stay in one of the old lodges but I'm not sure which one. From what I've been reading from travelers is that most of them are not worth the money, they're noisy, uncomforable, dirty and rundown. Any suggestions?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

Remember these are very old lodges and because of historical value restoration is almost impossible to do on these historic lodges. Lake McDonald Lodge is nice as well as the main lodge in East Glacier. Both are going to be great because they will have all the activities departing from their locations and its not too far to drive from each one. Plus I'd make the drive to Prince of Wales hotel on the canadian part. Awsome views.

Hope this helps.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Staying in one of Glacier National Parks historic lodges is like staying in an antique. Absolutely delightful if you like that sort of thing. Walls are thin, beds pretty average, decor of the sleeping rooms are so-so, but the vibes of staying in an old historic place are irreplacable! Prices are very high if you compare it to a "regular" hotel stay. Service is what you could expect from a bunch of kids hired to work the summer, many from foreign countries with no local expertise, and all with little customer service experience or training. You could view your stay as an absolute rip-off, or as a treasured experience of a lifetime.

If you don't stay there, you can always go for a meal and walk around the properties. Also, PBS did a series on the history of our National Parks Hotels, including one 2-hour special on the hotels of Glacier National Park. See if you can get your hands on that, for some incredible background info.

We live here, and have stayed at a couple of the hotels just for the experience. While I do treasure that memory, we are also going to buy a travel trailer so that we can stay overnight in the Park and still be in our own space.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
331 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

Try finding a place outside the park. We are going in August, and opted to find a cabin to stay in. From reading on here we decided to stay at the Glacier Raft Co cabins. However, we are staying at Many Glacier one night in the lodge, and hoping it isn't too bad.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

hi burkehouse

You will like Many glacier lodge. Take advantage of the great hiking in that area.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
331 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

dragonflylady,

We are hoping to hike to Grinnell Glacier while we are there.

Robin

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

forgot to mention there is a great little book called easy day hikes of Glacier NP. Definately a good investment as it explains levels of hiking, incline what to expect ect...