We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice- 2 day trip to GNP

NC
7 posts
Save Topic
Need advice- 2 day trip to GNP

Please give me your recommendations: We drive up from Yellowstone Sept 9 for 2 days at GNP- prob. our only chance to visit here. We then fly out of Missoula. So what is the best route from y/stone to take? What is a great 2 day itinerary which includes the Sunshine road and Many Glaciers lodge? What is then best route to Missoula to sadly fly away from paradise? thanks all and I apologize if this info. is on the site. Almost too much to read.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice- 2 day trip to GNP

Welcome to the TA forums, rhettbrett.

First, let's get some clarity on your schedule. You will be leaving Yellowstone on 9/9 and heading to Glacier. On what date do you fly out of Missoula?

You mentioned a 2-day itinerary, but does this include the travel day between Yellowstone and Glacier?

Assuming that you have two full days at Glacier (so spending three nights), you could spend the first day driving the Going to the Sun Road and exploring aloing the way. End the day at Many Glacier (try to get a room at the lodge).

Spend the next day hiking in Many Glacier. The hikes in this area, so you will only have time for one. Grinnel Glacier was my favorite.

Of course, perhaps starting in Many Glacier, then crossing the GTTSR on day two would be better if you need to get to Missoula for a flight.

Anyway, give us some details on your schedule and we'll try and help you fill in how to use that time.

NC
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice- 2 day trip to GNP

Thanks. We leave Y/stone area Thurs a.m. for Glacier on Hwy ?? We have Friday and Sat. to see Glacier. We have a 2:30 pm flight out from Missoula on Sunday after driving there on Hwy ??. We plan to stay at least one night at Many Glacier lodge.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice- 2 day trip to GNP

OK, that info helps. I suggest starting on the east side of the park (coming up I-15 and route 89). Many Glacier the first day, then explore GTTSR the second. If you want to stay at Many Glacier lodge, get your reservation soon. For the second night you will stay somewhere on the west side or even closer to Missoula. I guess you will be taking route 93 and/or 35 to Missoula.

It will be a whirlwind tour, but it is doable.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice- 2 day trip to GNP

Very doable little trip. Drive up the east side of Glacier to Many Glacier Hotel, then drive Going-to-the-Sun Road before heading down along Flathead Lake and on to Missoula.

This Google Maps route would work:

http://tinyurl.com/yfk47u4

Stay Thurs and Fri nights at MGH, Saturday night you could stay on the west side of Glacier. That just leaves the trip along the lake to Missoula for Sunday. Lots of options for Sat night Lake McDonald Lodge, Apgar (Village Inn etc), West Glacier, or more amenities further out in Whitefish or Bigfork.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice- 2 day trip to GNP

The map that wanderer presented looks exactly like the one I was playing with when composing my reply. Seems that the two of us have devised almost the same plan....must be a good one ;-)

NC
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice- 2 day trip to GNP

Thanks all !! I love this web site.

If others want to chip in, all advice welcomed.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice- 2 day trip to GNP

You have been given good advice. Grinnell Glacier (if trail is open) is probably the most popular and scenic hike in the Many Glacier area. Get going on those reservations at either Many Glacier hotel or Swiftcurrent Inn and cabins. Some cabins do not have bathrooms, so make sure you ask.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice- 2 day trip to GNP

ditto all above. Good time to be at Many Glacier area as the bears are very active and visible of the hillsides to your east. Make time to at least hike hidden lake from the Logan Pass area on your way out. Swift Current lodging second option if Many Glacier full, though you are coming at a less busy time of year.

north carolina
Level Contributor
207 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice- 2 day trip to GNP

For your Saturday night stay, consider the Super 8 Motel in Columbia Falls. We stayed there last August and it was much nicer than I expected (and affordable). I would recommend staying here if your itinerary looks like you will get out of the park late, and you just want to get to your hotel as soon as possible, to get some sleep.

If, however, you think you'd be up for driving a little further (if memory serves, maybe another 45 minutes?), Bigfork is an adorable little town. You might enjoy seeing that, plus it would shorten your drive to Missoula on Sunday.

10. Re: Need advice- 2 day trip to GNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 05, 2010