We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Guide Book

NC
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Best Guide Book

My husband, 6-year old daughter, and I are planning a trip to Glacier NP, Grand Teton NP, and Yellowstone NP for two weeks next summer.

We've heard great things about the Yellowstone Treasures guide book for Yellowstone and have ordered it. Does anyone have any suggestions for a must-have, comprehensive guide book covering Glacier NP and/or Grand Tetons NP?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Guide Book

I don't know the best guide book but you might enjoy some of our informtion while you find the book.

http://www.alandsuejohnson.com/glacier_np.htm

We had a trip that started in the Tetons and finished with 5 nights in Glacier. The website talks about our planning and some of the things we saw and did. There's several picture albums available at the buttons at the top. You should find the information interesting even if it isn't everything.

The Tetons and Yellowstone links can be found at the left in the menus. There's a lot of information on Yellowstone and several good pictures from the Tetons. The pictures generally will tell you where they were taken.

NC
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Guide Book

Thanks so much, SKJ.

It looks like you have a wealth of information on your site. I look forward to reading through it. I appreciate you sharing your experiences from your trip. It sounds wonderful!

NC
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Guide Book

AKJ, great photos too! Thanks again!

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,689 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Guide Book

I'll post the titles of the two books we used (one was a guidebook and the other a trail guide) after I get home tonight (doing the road warrior gig at present and I do not have the book titles handy).

If you have not already done so, check out the trip reports in this forum. Tons of great info. To get you started, here's the link to the TR that I wrote about our Glacier adventure from this past August:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143026-i1168-k305…

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,689 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Guide Book

OK, home from Virginia. As for Glacier guide books, I used the Moon handbook for Glacier National Park extensively for planning and at the park. I also purchased the Falcon Guide for Hiking in Glacier and Waterton based on the suggestion of the young lady working at the Apgar visitor center. She said she used it a lot when hiking in Glacier. The book was also very useful and had good detailed information on many of the trails in the parks.

Mentioned in this post
NC
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Guide Book

Many thanks, OhioHick. I really appreciate you taking the time to look up the titles for me. And your trip report is full of great information too. I know it will be incredibly helpful.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,689 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Guide Book

Glad to be of help. That's the great thing about TA in general and the forums in particular, you get a lot of great info and ideas to make your trip a dream vacation, and then you get to use what you experienced to help the next set of travelers. We'll all be looking forward to your trip report from the adventure next summer.

8. Re: Best Guide Book

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, May 06, 2010