We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip to Glacier National Park from DC

Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Topic
Roadtrip to Glacier National Park from DC

Hi there!

I'm thinking about taking a roadtrip with my dog to Glacier National Park from Washington DC. A few questions for you:

*What's the best route?

*Can I do this in a 3 week trip...spending a week driving to GNP. Then 1.5 weeks in GNP and a few days to get back?

*Is this a scenic trip and worth the time?

*Can I do this driving 5 hours a day going to GNP and about 9 hours driving on the way back?

*How much would gas cost roughly?

Anyother information related to this trip idea would be helpful!

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
11 replies to this topic
Montana
Level Contributor
89 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip to Glacier National Park from DC

You’ll probably get more detailed responses if you post this in the road trips section of TA as far as miles and gas. I would just like to point out that bringing a dog to Glacier NP is generally not a good idea. They are very restricted and really only allowed in parking lots and campgrounds. And you cannot leave them unattended so you will not be able to hike any trails.

USA
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip to Glacier National Park from DC

You might want to ask in the road trip forum for advice instead. https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

Reconsider taking your dog to GNP. It will severely limit your trip - dogs cannot be taken on the trails and are only allowed in developed areas and on roads. This is true of most national parks (national forests and state parks are usually more dog-friendly).

https:/…pets.htm

(Sorry for the duplicate information - we posted at the same time.)

Edited: 9:36 am, June 09, 2018
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip to Glacier National Park from DC

It's about 2,300 miles from Washington DC to Glacier Park. Drive time only at an average of 70 mph would be about 33 hours. Your goal of 5 hours of driving a day would put you at 7 days to drive out and 9 hours a day to drive back would put you at 4 days. Factor in costs for gas, wear and tear on your vehicle, food, and 11 nights of lodging especially when you're driving by yourself the overall costs can add up.

In the end, while it's sometime hard to justify the price of an airplane ticket it would probably be more economical for just one person to fly out, rent a car, and visit Glacier Park for a week. I understand wanting to bring dogs with us on trips but like other posters have said, having a dog with you on a Glacier Park trip will significantly hinder what you will be able to do. You can't leave your dog in your car while out hiking in the park. There will be very few hotels that will allow you to leave your dog in the room while you're gone all day. If you're tent camping, you can't leave your dog at the campground while you're gone. Though I did read on the St Mary KOA Campground page they now offer a pet sitting/day kennel service now ($50 a day).

Deb

Edited: 10:05 am, June 09, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Roadtrip to Glacier National Park from DC

Wow...I had no idea about the limitations with bringing a dog. That's unfortunate but I understand wanting to preserve and protect the parks. I think you're right about flying. I'll keep all of the posting info in mind when planning the trip...especially now that I probably won't be taking my dog 😕

Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Roadtrip to Glacier National Park from DC

Thank you. Very helpful information!

Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Roadtrip to Glacier National Park from DC

Hi again,

What would be better...flying into Kalispell and renting a car to get around GNP or flying into Kalispell...getting a shuttle to Whitefish and using the GNP shuttle to get around the park? I'm just wondering if I'll need the added expense of a rental car?

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Kalispell
Kalispell
Montana
Whitefish
Whitefish
Montana
USA
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roadtrip to Glacier National Park from DC

Definitely rent a car! Getting around by shuttle will be time consuming, limiting, and could get expensive - the free shuttle only takes you along the Going-to-the-Sun Rd, and you will need to pay for shuttles that take you to Many Glacier or Two Medicine. You could consider flying into a different airport (check Great Falls, Missoula, etc) to see if rental car prices are cheaper there. Renting out of Kalispell can be expensive, but I find it "worth it" when I consider the flight price, plus extra time driving to an airport farther away.

Also, when are you planning this trip? The season for GNP is short - late-June to mid-September if you want to visit when services inside the park are operating.

Mentioned in this post
Missoula
Missoula
Montana
Kalispell
Kalispell
Montana
Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Roadtrip to Glacier National Park from DC

Thank you! This is very helpful!! I'm planning to go in early or mid-August. Is it correct that most campgrounds are first come first served? Any suggestions on camping in the park? Do you have any other helpful tips for traveling to GNP?

USA
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roadtrip to Glacier National Park from DC

Here's a link to the camping page - there is a mix of FCFS and reservable campgrounds:

https:/…camping.htm

The KOA in St. Mary also gets good reviews.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Roadtrip to Glacier National Park from DC

Thank you al in al!

Reply to: Roadtrip to Glacier National Park from DC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;