We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier vs. Yellowstone?

Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier vs. Yellowstone?

If you have done both, which do you recommend??

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier vs. Yellowstone?

Hey palmcity05. I saw your post in the Yellowstone forum as well. I have indeed been to both Yellowstone and Glacier. I have been to Yellowstone in 2003 and in 2006, and 2006 was my first trip to Glacier. Yellowstone is very interesting and contains so many different sights. However, I have absolutely fallen in love with Glacier National Park. It contains THE most beautiful lakes, streams, mountains, etc. that I have ever seen. IMO, Glacier NP is the most beautiful place in the continental U.S. (I've never been to Alaska, so I can't attest for that) However, Glacier is more suited for a hiker. If you like to hike during vacations, Glacier is definitely superior. However, if hiking is not for you, then maybe Yellowstone is a better fit. While I would rate Yellowstone as one of my top 10 places I have been to, Glacier NP DEFINITELY, without a question, tops my list.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier vs. Yellowstone?

If you didn't, look at our website. We've got a lot of pictures from both parks. That and the trip reports will let you see what they both look like. Glacier especially.

www.AlandSueJohnson.com click on the bison pic and follow the menus.

There's more info in there on Glacier than I could ever hope to put in here. As the previous poster said, to really enjoy Glacier you need to get out and do some walking / hiking. You don't have to head in the backcountry with a backpack but you do need to get off the road.

Fortunately for you, you can't go wrong. They are both amazing places.

Powhatan, Virginia
Level Contributor
421 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier vs. Yellowstone?

The attraction for each park is different. I recommend BOTH, having been to Glacier once (and plan to return next summer) and YNP four times. Glacier is not as crowded as YNP, the mountain vistas are more breathtaking, and I agree you should plan to hike there. Also recommend the trip up to Waterton Lakes.

YNP has the geysers, more animal viewing (even though I did find bears in GNP), hiking is available, but you can do the boardwalks. YNP takes more time to see the major sites, plus you can't pass the Tetons just to the south.

If you were out that way and had 2-3 weeks to spend, do both -- actually when you add in Waterton Lakes and Grand Teton Parks, all four. Otherwise, it depends on what you want to see and do.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
34 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier vs. Yellowstone?

I'm totally biased having grown up in Missoula, but I'd pick Glacier any day. The views, hikes and scenery there are just breathtaking.

Yellowstone is lovely, too, and who doesn't love geysers, but I'm partial to mountains. Plus it's not far from Big Fork (charming, sweet city), Flathead Lake & Polson, and my favorite, Missoula (college town).

But yes, either way you'll really enjoy yourself. Montana is brilliant.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier vs. Yellowstone?

I never would miss Yellowstone NP, I'm totally dedicated. And GrandTeton NP of course and if you want a fantastic mountaindrive

try Beartooth Pass, one of the highest in the USA.

Then for Glacier: I never would miss Glacier NP, I'm totally dedicated -lol- etc. If you have never been in this area my vote still would be Yellowstone first. But as the others have said, if you can visit both. There's a daysdrive in between.

Tet

6. Re: Glacier vs. Yellowstone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, August 28, 2009