We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier National Park-- Should I look into Passports?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
62 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier National Park-- Should I look into Passports?

Hi. I noticed on a travel guide that with Canada so close by one would benefit from having a Passport. My family and I plan to be pretty tied up with just enjoying GNP's splendor, hiking, adventuring, scenic drives, kayaking and so on... Is it totally crazy not to get a passport and take a drive to Canada during our five day stay from Indiana? We are planning to go July 2018. How close is something awesome in Canada to see? We have never been to a National Park before, so it seems like we may be completely satisfied in the Park. However if a Canadian road is so close that we need a Passport to travel , I may look into it.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
2 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier National Park-- Should I look into Passports?

The Canadian part of GNP (Waterton Park) is very close - maybe 1-1.5 hours from St. Mary on the east side of the park. The border is closer, about 30 minutes away. You would need passports to cross the border - I'm not sure I would go to the expense of getting passports for a single day trip to Canada if you would not otherwise use them.

Visiting Waterton is a nice side-trip if you have the time - it's similar scenery to GNP, but different enough to still be interesting (to me at least). But it is certainly not necessary to go there to have a great trip to GNP, and you'll find plenty to fill your 5 days.

There is currently a large fire in Waterton, and it will probably be a while until we learn how that will affect what's available there next year.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
10,654 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier National Park-- Should I look into Passports?

With only 5 days, I would not really add Waterton Lakes unless you were only making this a basic auto tour, which you obviously are not.

For now, since just 9/13, the fire at Waterton has severely damaged infrastructure, burned the visitors center down, and thousands of acres of forest area including the two main scenic drives...the Cameron Lake Drive and the Red Rock Canyon drive. The fire blew up yesterday and more than doubled the fire area.

By next year they may re-open the park but the fire damage will be fresh and take a lot of time to recover. Some hikes will be affected. The fire is still burning and the winds still blowing...so far they have saved the Prince of Wales Hotel and the perimeter around the village...which has been evacuated.

https:/…feu-fire-kenow

Banff/Jasper National park is a wonderful place to visit but it absolutely needs an extra 7-10 days to do it justice. More even if you do a lot of hiking and those other activities you love and if you add in some of Yoho National Park near Lake Louise. Its a much bigger area than Glacier and the highlight of the parks is the Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper township. That Parkway is where the many, close to the road glaciers are located. You can even take a snow track vehicle tour out onto the Athabaska Glacier from Icefields Center.

It takes most of a full day to just drive up to Banff and another to drive back after Jasper/Lake Louise from either the east side of Glacier or Whitefish. A combo Glacier/Banff/Jasper trip can use up 3 full weeks easy.

If that is in the cards...or for a different trip, come back to the forum and we can really help you flesh out a nice logical route for your visit. You can fly into either Glacier or Calgary and rent a car. BUT you must return it to country of origin and cannot drop it off in another country. But from either airport you opt for, you can rent a car round trip and travel freely all over both countries.

Mentioned in this post
Waterton Lakes National Park
Waterton Lakes National...
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Cameron Lake
Cameron Lake
383 Reviews
Waterton Lakes National Park, Canada
Red Rock Canyon
Red Rock Canyon
819 Reviews
Prince of Wales Hotel
Prince of Wales Hotel
1,357 Reviews
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Yoho National Park
Yoho National Park
435 Reviews
Field, Canada
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
Icefields Parkway
Icefields Parkway
1,563 Reviews
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Whitefish
Whitefish
Montana
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Reply to: Glacier National Park-- Should I look into Passports?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted