We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight to Gates of Arctic National Park

Cincinnati, Ohio
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Flight to Gates of Arctic National Park

We are coming to Alaska for a pre-tour before our cruise and were thinking about a day trip by plane to the Gates of Arctic National Park. This tour is offered as a pre-tour by Holland America. Has anyone done this tour? Was it a good value? Any other options for a day trip to above the Arctic Ciircle?

Thanks

Cesquared

5 replies to this topic
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight to Gates of Arctic National Park

While RV'g last year I spoke with a woman who was going on a "mail run " flight with Warbelows. They offer a few summer tours. Pricey but definitely something I will consider for a future trip. When I asked about Warbelows on TA, 'Places" responded about their trip to Anaktuvuk Pass which is another interesting possibility. I attached a link to her report.

You can find other information by doing a search. In the Alaska forum next to Search In, type "Gates of the Arctic" using the quotes.

http://www.warbelows.com/summer_tours.htm

tripadvisor.com/…19147201

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight to Gates of Arctic National Park

Here are more options: http://www.northernalaska.com/default.htm . The Arctic Circle fly/drive and the day or overnight trips to Barrow are popular.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
21 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight to Gates of Arctic National Park

You won't be going to Gates of the Arctic with Warbelow's or with Holland America. If you are interested in flying over part of the Brooks Range and OVER Gates of the Arctic National Park, then you could fly to Anaktuvuk Pass with Wright Air or Warbelow's. You could take a morning flight on Wright Air, and then come back on the afternoon flight. But you won't be in the park unless you hike yourself out of Anaktuvuk and step onto park land. THere is an Nat. Park station in Anaktuvuk. The village is worth visiting if you want to see a town sitting on the Arctic Divide.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight to Gates of Arctic National Park

Anaktuvuk Pass is within the Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve nps.gov/gaar/…GAARmapHarpersFerry.pdf

From nps.gov website

<<In the late 1980s, a proposal for a three-way land exchange between the NPS, the Arctic Slope Regional Corporation, and the Nunamiut Corporation evolved through lengthy negotiations and was finally passed in 1996. The result was a sizeable contiguous section of Native lands within the park that would allow the people of Anaktuvuk Pass to pursue their traditional harvest of subsistence foods.>>

Read more athttp://www.nps.gov/gaar/historyculture/anaktuvuk-pass.htm

cesquared, you did not give any details about this trip to the Gates of the Arctic and I don’t have time to google Holland America tours. So without knowing prices, length of the tour, airline which would fly you in and out it is hard to make any recommendations. What are your expectations? Why do you consider visiting Anaktuvuk Pass? I know for many tourists this is not very appealing option of traveling above the Arctic Circle. Anaktuvuk Pass is not a tourist destination and does not provide any touristy services. It is a real native village.Is crossing the Arctic Circle is your main goal? Then I would consider one of tours listed by Northern Alaska Tour Company which Manitoba_Maple gave you link to.

You’ll get a certificate of crossing the Arctic Circle with Warbelow and I presume with anyone else. As mentioned previously you can book directly with Warbelow and your tour is going to be 12 hours long and $679.00. I noticed some time ago with Northern Alaska Tour Company your tour would be 5-5½ hours long and costs $529.00. I have no clue about cost, duration and other aspects of traveling with Holland America so it is impossible to compare. I visited Anaktuvuk Pass without my husband and there were only two other people on this tour. I booked directly with Warbelow and paid $500.00 in 2008. Now the same trip is $679.00

If you still considering a day trip read my notes I posted here some time ago.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60826-i1068-k2958…

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
21 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight to Gates of Arctic National Park

Yes, Anaktuvuk is a 'real' Native village with few amenities, but there is a wonderful museum in the village. If your goal is to go above the Arctic Circle, any round-trip fight will get you there, tour or not. If you MUST have a certificate to prove you went above the Arctic Circle, then take a tour. You may find Kotzebue more interesting for that, though.

Reply to: Flight to Gates of Arctic National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gates Of The Arctic...