We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking?

New England
Level Contributor
6 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking?

Am interested in visiting the Dry Tortugas and kayaking - would like info on logistics from anyone who has done this. We will be travelling sometime in winter, based in Florida City, but planning a couple days in the lower keys. Have been to the keys many times but never the Tortugas (always balked at the expense, but have decided to go for it, just once.). We have some experience sea kayaking but are far from expert; a group tour, if it exists, would be ideal. We plan a day trip, not camping. Many thanks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking?

I spent 3 nights camping at the Dry Tortugas in 2011. If you want to kayak then you're responsible for bringing all the gear; there are no rentals onsite. We kayaked each day during our April trip. The sea was calm and it was an easy endeavor.

I do think that the potential hassle of bringing the kayak, unloading, etc, for just a couple of hours in the water, is perhaps not worth the reward. If you're just going for a day trip, I suggest snorkeling. However, if you have your heart set on kayaking, it's definitely doable - just be sure to bring the gear and confirm with the ferry beforehand that they can accommodate the boat. You'll probably need to arrive early in the AM with the campers to get it loaded in.

Have fun and enjoy! The Dry Tortugas are beautiful!!

2. Re: Kayaking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, January 13, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Dry Tortugas National...