We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time is needed and which seaplane company is best?

KANSAS CITY
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How much time is needed and which seaplane company is best?

We are planning a trip from Key West to Dry Tortugas in January, 2012. I was wondering...is a half day sea plance trip enough to see the island or does one need a full day? Also, which seaplane company is best to take.

Thanks! :)

kcspan

Baltimore, Maryland
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time is needed and which seaplane company is best?

I'm also interested in knowing this... anyone have an answer?

Key West, Florida
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time is needed and which seaplane company is best?

There is one seaplane company flying to Dry Tortugas Ft. Jefferson National Park. Under contract with the National Park Service, there are daily flights. The excursion has become popular so advance reservations are highly recommended. The seaplane seats 10 passengers.

The 1/2 day trip gives you 2 1/2 hours on Garden Key (home key to the fort)

A tour of the fort is about 40 mins. Snorkeling is phenomenal due to the protection of the waters since 1979. A full day excursion is $249 per seat. I believe it is well the money, as I love the flight best of all. The flight takes you over seldom seen waters filled with shipwrecks, deserted islands (keys) and marine life you can see from the low flying altitude.

The National Park put one seafaring comfortable ferry under contract as well. Daily trips for $169. a whole day excursion gives you 4 hours at the fort. Two hours there and back. Very nice with upscale meals included.

The fort and the surrounding waters are fabled - rich in history and adundant with marine life. Highly recommend this trip seventy miles west of Key West. American ingenuity built this fort. Fascinating and rewarding to people of varied interests.

Visit a greatly informative site: http://www.drytortugasseaplane.com/index.html

Cleveland, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time is needed and which seaplane company is best?

If you had a choice in January which time would you go. 10:00 am or 2:00 pm. The noon time is sold out. This is fo the plane flight.

Blauvelt, NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time is needed and which seaplane company is best?

We just got back from the Dry Tortugas and I think the time depends on what you would like to do. Touring the fort and taking a quick swim in the water can definitely be done in two hours, but if you think you would like to snorkel longer, than you would need more time. We actually camped on the island and would have liked to stay longer because we couldn't snorkel due to the weather conditions. It was beautiful but when the water is choppy, the visibility is definitely reduced. I personally would go at 10 if I I was taking the plane, just less people on the island at that time, you will get there before the ferry. I think the ferry was closer to three hours and actually some people opted to go back on the plane due to the waves. People on the plane remarked on how cool it was to see the shipwrecks. It is worth the trip no matter how you go!

5. Re: How much time is needed and which seaplane company is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, July 29, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Dry Tortugas National...