We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Artic circle

pitt
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Artic circle

First time on the T.A. forum. So here we go. I'am planning a trip to Alaska in May. One thing I would like to do is go to the arctic circle. I have read a number of information guides/web sites on and about the Dalton Hwy. I am renting a car that is "Dalton Hwy /gravel road ready" from Artic Outfitters (a ford tauraus) CB radio, 2 full size mounted spare tires, and other equipment.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
146 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Artic circle

My wife and I drove the Dalton last year with a car from Artic Outfitters. See my comments under "can I drive the Dalton Hwy".

Use the CB, do it over 4 days and enjoy. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed it better than Danali.

Road danger is over rated if you take the proper precautions. Be wary of the locals who try to direct you to the Princess Bus. You'll see what I mean.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Artic circle

Sounds like you are all set and Runner gives you good advice. I just suggest you finish it off with a stop at Chena Hot Springs to soak and relax, and drive around the Fairbanks / Goldstream / Fox loop to enjoy the sights, the gold mines and gold fields, the pipeline display (expaining much or what you will see on the drive) and the exposed permafrost ice lens.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Artic circle

Get a copy of the Milepost Book.

I've driven to Deadhorse and had 3 flat tires on one trip. I didn't drive fast and I also drive for a living. It's not a road for everyone. You can run into a blizzard and be stranded in the middle of summer, I know people this has happened to. You do need to be prepared for all types of situtations.

Runner....I don't know any "locals" that would say to take a Princess bus...usually the opposite. I'm happy you got lucky and enjoyed your trip problem free.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Artic circle

I am thinking of using dalton highway outfitters for car rentals.

Do you know anything about them?

Also, probably want to go as far as cold feet, not all the way to dead horse.

Which section of the roads you were having problem with?

Thanks.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
146 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Artic circle

You will have the most problems with the PAVED sections. Pot holes and frost heaves from hell if your not carefull. Gravel sections were fine as they do enough road grading to keep the holes filled in. Just drive slow and easy on the pavement and you will be fine.

6. Re: Trip to Artic circle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, August 28, 2009