We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Seward to Denali

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Seward to Denali

We will be driving from Seward to Denali in a minivan. I'm planning for a 8 hour trip with limited stops.

Any suggestions? Or is it too much to drive on one day. we have 4 people to take turns.

Hope this works as it will gave us a day break at Denali after which we can go on a tour.

Thanks in advance

crystal

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Seward to Denali

Crystal, hello again. Yes, it is very doable drive but because there are many places to see and stop in between Seward and Denali National Park I suggest you start early and have your accommodations booked. Stop in Wasilla's supermarket for all you need for your stay in the Denali area. There is Carrs/Safeway market on the right side of the highway going north. Try to leave from Seward not later than 8 AM. Good luck and have a great trip.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Seward to Denali

we are planning to leave early by eight and reach denali hopefully around 8p.m.

not sure if we are going to stop in between as it will delay as further.

Thanks

crystal

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Seward to Denali

What about in July with more daylight? We are doing opposite drive-Denali to Seward. Any recommendations-need to get a early start?

CAsa

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Seward to Denali

casamurray....you'll have plenty of light to drive in July....dusk for maybe an hour or two around 3am. Ohhh.. I wish it was July right now. : ) We are gaining 5 mins of light a day till June 21st,dusk for an hour, then we start losing 5 mins a day till Dec 21st. light 10am dark 4pm. Overall we have more daylight 9 months out of the year than the lower 48. The long summer days is one of the things I would miss most if I ever moved!

crystalgeorgia...You'll be fine esp with 4 people to take turns. Stop and enjoy the views.

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Seward to Denali

Thanks,

A different world. We are in Florida. We have had weather in the high 40s to low 60s for a FEW days and everyone is freezing and over the winter! It got back up to the low 70s with sunshine this afternoon and was absouletly beautiful. We have plenty of sunshine in summer too-but we get the 90s heat with humidity! Hang in there for summer!

Casa

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Seward to Denali

Hi, I made the reverse trip last July driving from Denali to Seward.

I was on the road by about 10:00am and made stops at both the North and South Denali viewing rest stops (if the mountain is out, these are must stops) and had lunch in Talkeetna. I refueled in Anchorage and arrived in Seward about 4:00pm.

If I had gotten an earlier start I would have had time to stop at Portage Glacier and done the visitors center as well. If you get into Seward early, you might stop by Exit Glacier, this is one of the few glaciers that you can actually walk up to and touch if you are brave. It was a short walk and can be done in an hour or so.

I hope you enjoy this drive as much as I did. I am taking my son on this years trip and he can do some of the driving.:)

- Kery

ps.....let me know if I can help in any way.

California
Level Contributor
638 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Seward to Denali

Hi Fly,

Wow.. you did all that in 6 hours? Milage between Denali to ANC is 237 then another 126 from ANC to Seward. With 3 stops in between it's not bad. How faster were you averaging? 70mph?

I was hoping that I would make it non-stop in 5 hours, now it looks doable. How far was it from Anc to Denali?

Were there lots of traffic?

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Seward to Denali

Hi back at you, I have to saw first that I was travelling alone and have a strong bladder. That said, I always drive within 5 mile an hour of the posted speed limit but i can't remember what is was. I think for the most part it was 70 but I don't really remember.

As far as the time went, i know I left after 9:00am, becuase I had to pack up camp, eat breakfast, shower and get gas. So let's say I left between 9 & 10 am.

My first stop was at the North scenic overlook and spent maybe 15 minutes, trhen off to the South overlook and due to the mountain hiding I left in less than 5 minutes. I debated stopping at Talkeetna but was hungry and stopped about 12pm or so. I grabbed a togo sandwich and arrived in Anchorage about 2pm. Refueled and headed south down Turnagain Arm non stop to Seward. I would have been there in about 2 hours or so, but ran into road construction 10 miles out of Seward and had to wait 20-30 minutes. I recall making it to my hostel beore 5pm and having time to go up to Exit Glacier before dinner at 8pm.

I know this makes me sound like a speed deamon, but out here in Eastern Idaho and Western Wyoming i do something like 50,000+ miles a year and getting where I am going safely and directly has become my priority. I am not saying I just drove through it and was rushed, as i only needed to make Sewrad by 10pm. I just played the only cd i had withme (Johnny Cash - Greatest Hits) and enjoyed to beautiful and peaceful scenery.

I would give myself 4 hours non-stop between Denali and Anchorage (230miles @ 65mph= 3.5 hours) and another 2.5 hours to Seward to be safe. There can always be some construction or an accident on the road, I saw 3 RV's with problems on my way up to Denali the first day.

Over all the traffic was only heavy arount the populated areas, from about Houston, AK through Anchoraqge. And if you can avoid the typical rush hours than it won't be very bad.

Let me know if I can be of any more help. I hope you have time to enjoy your trip as much as I did last year. In fact I am taking my son and his best friend up for a 20 day trip the end of June this summer and going from a 5 day trip last year, i think 20 days will let me slow down quite a bit.

Best regards,

- Kery

Hamilton,Michigan
Level Contributor
92 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Seward to Denali

I drove from Seward to Denali after a cruise. We stop in Anchorage for lunch and a couple of other stops along the way. You shouldn't have any problems. We stayed at the Earthsong Logde in Healy, which is past Denali. Have a great trip.

10. Re: Driving from Seward to Denali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, August 25, 2009