We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Denali

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
3 days in Denali

I never been in Denali before and excited to spend 3 full days there, Sorry I thought I would read books, forums to get more idea about the area but not getting much time to do so. I haven't spend much time to read about it. We are group of 10+ people (3 families) and none of us have any hiking experience and seems like it would be difficult with kids but walking in trails up-to 5-6 miles should not be a problem. Can someone please suggest how to spend our three days to get best out of Denali?

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Denali

The shuttle buses are how you get into the park: www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,092 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Denali

You need to read nps.gov/Dena about hiking in the park. A 5-6 mile hike means 5-6 hours of hiking on the trail less tundra of Denali. I would guess you want to hike less than that with kids.

Ask your bus driver for ideas if you want to hike on the tundra, which is great.

There are formal trails near the park entrance if you want trails. You don't need a shuttle bus for those - most start near the visitor center, some start further down the road and can be accessed with your car or the free Savage River shuttle.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Denali

Thanks all.

Any interesting activity at entrance? Now I am thinking to do some activity at entrance and trails near entrance and drvie car on day 1 and shuttle to Wonder Lake on day 2 - any suggestion where to hop off and how long?

Still have to figure out for day 3.

Thanks again.

New York
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Denali

The entire road to Wonder Lake is possible for "hop off". You need to invest some time and read the Denali website. Eielson does have a guided program in the after noon. May be of interest? Do you already have shuttle bus tickets? For what time? There are a lot of activity details and suggestions that are easy reading.

Ohio City, Ohio
Level Contributor
754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Denali

We got off at Polychrome Pass and hiked taking pictures of those colorful rocks in the rain. We wanted to take the Alpine trail at Eielson but no visibility and rain. You can hike to Reflection pond getting off at Wonderlake. You can pick up blueberries as well. Or you can take Mt. Healy trail. If you have three days, I would take a shuttle to Wonderlake on both days and book an early bus if you want to hike. Then on one of those three days I would spend some time at the visitor center. I really loved it and wish I would get there not before closing time. The visitor center closes at 6:00pm. On that day I also recommend to visit the dog kennel. Tours leave from the Visitor center 40 min before each scheduled presentation. You can drive yourself and visit the kennel throughout the day. Though they close at 5pm. If you want to hear huskies howl make sure you're there at 4:30 pm. They are fed once per day and howl to get their food. Some jump and get really excited. The dog demo starts at 4:00 pm. So come early. You can visit the room with displays as well as to talk to people who help care for those wonderful dogs.

Edited: 4:48 am, July 23, 2016
Ohio City, Ohio
Level Contributor
754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Denali

There are other times for dog demos. The latest one is at 4:00.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,890 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Denali

I think Horseshoe lake right in the entrance area is a great family hike. I also like the Savage loop trail if it is open. Doggie demo is great and get your kids signed up for the jr ranger program, depending on their ages.

I probably would only go to Eielson unless the weather is spectacular.

Walking along the road can also be a great hiking experience, so keep that in mind - especially further in the park. :)

Ohio City, Ohio
Level Contributor
754 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Denali

I enjoyed going to the Wonderlake. Blueberries at Wonderlake are ready for picking. You can have a picnic there. I did enjoy this area and my kids too. For us it was worth it to go to Wonderlake and we are glad we did not cut it short.

9. Re: 3 days in Denali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 25, 2017