We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay near Denali Park entrance and In-park Tours

Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay near Denali Park entrance and In-park Tours

Can anyone recommend a good place to stay near Denali Park entrance? My wife and I will be there for 2 nights in mid-July - travelling by rental car from Anchorage.

Also comments on the bus tours into the park would be much appreciated as well. Is one better than the others?

Mentioned in this post
South Bend, IN
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay near Denali Park entrance and In-park Tours

There are lots of cabins around Healy and also the other direction going towards Anchorage. The Grizzly Bear cabins looked nice to us--of course, the Princess in Healy is great--as far as bus tours--don't waste your money on a tour company--take the bus trips through the National Park Service--the drivers know at least as much and maybe more than the tour company drivers--you can book them on line--we have done that three times and never been disappointed. Last summer we saw grizzly bears, sheep, caribou and moose. The year before we saw those animals and even followed a pair of wolves from the East Fork Pack for miles. It is also much less expensive than the private companies. If you have the entire day, go all the way to Wonder Lake--it's well worth the extra few hours--Hope the mountain comes out for you. Take a lunch and the most expensive binocs you can afford.

Have fun--it is like visiting heaven.

Mentioned in this post
Healy
Healy
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Wonder Lake
Wonder Lake
252 Reviews
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,076 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay near Denali Park entrance and In-park Tours

Greetings!

I would try to stay in the Healy area. Accommodations near the Park entrance are expensive and whole area tends to get very congested, esp. in July. Not bad if you like that - I like a bit more space. I have heard that Sourdough Cabins are nice - they are right at the entrance, along with all the major hotels, such as the Princess. There are several B&B's and cabins in the Healy area that are much more affordable. You might try them - book soon, as things do fill up quickly. Healy has one very nice hotel - Motel Nordhaven. The B&B's I would recommend: Valley Vista, Denali Suites, Aspen Haus B & B, Touch of Wilderness, and Denali Dome Home.

Take the Park Shuttle bus into the Park - they are cheaper and actually go farther into the Park.

Enjoy your trip! :)

Mentioned in this post
Healy
Healy
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
665 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay near Denali Park entrance and In-park Tours

See the related post on here re shuttle vs tour co. I vote for shuttle also. Have done 3 times.

As for staying, we stayed our first trip a couple of yrs ago on the last of May and early June at Denali Sourdough Cabins. They are owned by HAL, and we got a good price on line for early in season. I think they were $99 for very small log cabin with front porch, nothing to look at, and no counter space in small bath. But they were cute, bed was ok, and we stayed two nights.

We also stayed at The Perch, just south of the park where we had a cabin or cottage near the river for $99 a nite with breakfast. This was bigger room, less character than Sourdough, nine miles further to drive but clean. I have seen numerous recomm for Touch of Wilderness BnB in Healy. They book up early I believe.

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Healy
Healy
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay near Denali Park entrance and In-park Tours

We stayed 3 nights @ Denali Lakeview Inn, about a mile before Healy. Clean as a pin, roomy and nice breakfast in room @ day. Took less than 20 min. to park entrance. On the way to Park great pizza @ Lynx next to Princess lodge.

Something I have not seen adressed in forum : we drove from Anchorage and when you get to Park entrance- there it is- nothing but mile after mile of mountain views until then. Going past the entrance about 1-2 miles is for better words- the strip. About 3 blocks in length hotel/lodges on one side of highway and shops/food on the other, then not much of anything until Healy and really not much there. Gas @ Denali about $2.60 gal. about $2.30 last week in Wasilla (sic). We took tundra bus tour 6:45a one day, it was great, also visited the sled dog compound, worth seeing. Hope you enjoy as much as these 2 retirees did.

tom

Mentioned in this post
Healy
Healy
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
ca
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay near Denali Park entrance and In-park Tours

What time did your 6:45am Tundra Tour return to the hotel. We need to catch the 3:00pm train to Fairbanks.

thanks,

Raybo

Deep South
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay near Denali Park entrance and In-park Tours

Ann2064 asks: Has anyone stayed at Denali Suites in Healy? They appear very nice on website. Also would like to have a recommendation for nice place to have dinner on Saturday after touring Denali. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Healy
Healy
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay near Denali Park entrance and In-park Tours

We just returned from our trip to Alaska. If you're looking for a spotless, good value, huge room close to Denali National Park, stay at Motel Nordhaven in Healy. It is only a ten minute drive or so from Denali Park's main entrance and you'll pay much less than you will if you stay on the "Glitter Gulch Strip" which is closer to the park and, despite the expensive hotels, is an ugly blight on the beautiful local environment.

We weren't expecting much from such a small town as Healy but this place far exceeded our expectations. Very friendly, always-smiling staff. Free coffee, tea, hot chocolate 24-7 and complimentary breakfasts in the summer. We can't recommend it enough. many thanks to the management (if they're reading this!) for a great, comfortable stay.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Healy
Healy
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,076 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay near Denali Park entrance and In-park Tours

LughaidhN: What wonderful complements - I know the owners and manager of Nordhaven and will make sure they get a copy of your comments. That's why I love to recommend Nordhaven - it's just a great place! Hope you liked the rest of your stay and trip to Denali. :)

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
9. Re: Where to stay near Denali Park entrance and In-park Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 15, 2009