We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aug end - Sept 2014 questions

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
333 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Aug end - Sept 2014 questions

Hey, guys,

I will soon be planning our return trip to Denali, our new annual pilgrimage destination. I plan to land in Fairbanks and drive over to Denali for 7-8 nights around Aug end 2014 till first week of Sept. Animals in fall colors is our intention....

Questions:

1. I notice the Denali Bluffs Hotel is floating a fall special (dirt cheap rate of $89 currently for Sept 2013). I checked online and could not see rates for Aug/Sept 2014 on their site. When should I expect prices at this or any other reasonably priced Hotel around the NP entrance ?

2. Do you have any other suggestions besides the Grand View and Denali Bluffs for me ? I liked the Bluffs Hotel and the pricing with the buy1/get1 NL coupon.

3. Is it Feb 2014 when the shuttle bus bookings will open for Denali for Summer 2014 ?

Thanks,

TP

Edited: 12:50 pm, September 07, 2013
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aug end - Sept 2014 questions

Well, good for you to already be planning a trip back! I do know fall colors do vary from year to year, so hopefully, that will work out well for you. I think the colors are just starting to get nice now - and they are only about 1/2 & 1/2 right now this first week of September - some years they are earlier, some years later.

As far as lodging goes, I tend to recommend places (B&B's, cabins, inns, etc.) where you are mostly like to encounter Alaskans and have a more unique experience rather than just staying where there are predominately tourists, like in the larger hotels near the entrance - that is just my personal preference. Most lodging prices drop in early September, but not many offer the 2 for 1 deal. That may give you more bang for your buck - it is up to you what kind of experiences you want. Most folks I know in the lodging business wait until January to start taking reservations for the new year.

I can't remember exactly when they start taking shuttle reservations for the new year - I am thinking either late December or early January. You have plenty of time! :)

2. Re: Aug end - Sept 2014 questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 09, 2014