We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to buy (MRE)ready to eat meal?

Peoria, IL
7 posts
Save Topic
where to buy (MRE)ready to eat meal?

A couple of days before trip into the park. Preparing grocery shopping list, and one question pops up:

are there any store selling MRE in Anchorage, eagle river, or park entrance? military ready to eat meal. I searched the forum but didn't find any related info. Just want reduce package size on the camper bus to wonder lake.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,647 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to buy (MRE)ready to eat meal?

I find that some of the Mountain House meals are way better than MREs. You can pick them up at any camping/outdoor store or Fred Meyer. Dried soups are great for that kind of trip too. At this time of year you don't really need refrigeration so I would take some dried meat and cheese too. A great snack is to buy a small jar of peanut butter and some tortillas/flat bread. Make up some peanut butter wraps before you go and wrap them up. Good protein and easy to pack and you really can't squish them in a backpack.

On a trip to Wonder Lake I would take some instant oatmeal, PB&J wraps, instant soup, moose jerky, summer sausage, dried fruit, cheese and chocolate bars. Sometimes I bring a small carton of eggs or eggs I scrambled before hand.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to buy (MRE)ready to eat meal?

Do you mean real military MRE's so that you don't have to bring a camp stove to boil water?

From what I understand those are usually sold by the case like at the Army Navy store downtown Anchorage:

classicalaska.com/shop/search.php…

I use instant cup-of-soups from Natural Pantry or bulk out of the Fred Meyer or Carrs bulk bins, dried fruits, crackers, peanut butter, tortillas, bulgar, instant rice, instant oatmeal, nuts, etc.

My friends use Mountain House or Backpackers Pantry, whole salami & hunks of cheese, crackers, etc.

Edited: 10:59 am, August 31, 2013
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to buy (MRE)ready to eat meal?

Here's an old thread but the food ideas are still fresh LOL:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143022-i1271-k186…

Lots of my friends use those pouches of tuna, salmon & chicken. Just make sure no food smells are on the clothes that you take in the tent!

Peoria, IL
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to buy (MRE)ready to eat meal?

thanks a lot! I will try mnt house stuff.

Alaska, see you in 8hrs. why am i so far from the places i like?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,653 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to buy (MRE)ready to eat meal?

Have a great trip. Hey it is only a +-10-12 hour plane ride even with connections from Chicago to Anchorage, much less with the non-stop Alaska Air flight. I don't think anything of flying to Alaska, but then I am also one who went to Cambodia for a long weekend :-)

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to buy (MRE)ready to eat meal?

If you are about to buy some Mountain House, Freddies at the North Eagle River exit (and likely other Fred Meyers stores) had them at either buy one, get one free or buy two get one free. The selection wasn't as good as REI, but plenty of options for a few days worth of food. I like the spaghetti and the New Orleans style rice with shrimp and ham. I've heard the chicken and rice is good and the chili mac.

Definitely better than MREs which around here I've only found sold by the case which is not what you're looking for.

PS- I moved to Alaska because I figure you should live where you want to vacation. Makes it easier to see stuff when you have long weekends rather than just a once a year or so.

Edited: 12:24 am, September 02, 2013
7. Re: where to buy (MRE)ready to eat meal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:33 am, September 04, 2014