We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denali with a 2 year Old

Seattle, Washington
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Denali with a 2 year Old

We are planning a trip to Denali end of July with our 1.5 yr Old Child. We plan to land in Acorage and drive to the park.

I have 2 questions:

1) If we do not count on long hikes, is there enough to see in the park for 4 full days ?

2) With a toddler, we plan to travel mostly in a car or Park Bus, are there any scenic drives around the park that we can go ourselves ?

3) Could you please advise places to stay near Denali National Park ? Several lodges are already sold out for these dates. Are there any nearby towns we can stay in ?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denali with a 2 year Old

That is plenty of time!

Here are some suggestions with a toddler.

Drive yourselves to mile 14 where there is a large parking lot & the easy Savage River loop trail by the river. Look for marmots back by the foot bridge. Stop at mile 9 to look for moose in the pond & see the mountain if it is out.

Go to the dog sled demo.

Go to the entrance visitor center.

Use a stroller on the entrance area paths.

Take some quiet toys of interest, perhaps new, for the shuttle bus ride. I would not book a shuttle past Eielson visitor center with a toddler. Be ready to get off at Toklat rest stop to get another shuttle back if the little one is too fussy. Be sure to bring the required child restraint seat for the shuttle bus:

nps.gov/dena/…CP_JUMP_235410

For lodging, check Healy lodging:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g31007-Healy_Alaska-H…

Or Carlo Creek:

http://www.denaliparklodging.com/

Coalminer lives in the area & may have better lodging ideas.

Edited: 8:59 am, May 05, 2013
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denali with a 2 year Old

Do you have a good child carrier/backpack? That would be essential to me - I liked Kelty's ridgeway - not sure if they still make that kind, as my kiddos are all grown up.

Lots of lodging choices north of the park in the Healy area, and a few south of the park. All depends what you are looking for and your budget. Denalicat listed the best website - depends if you want a hotel, motel, Inn or B&B, or cabin. Let us know! :)

3. Re: Denali with a 2 year Old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 08, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...