We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alpine trail from Eielson

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Alpine trail from Eielson

I am trying to get some detailed info on the Alpine trail. I am not having much luck researching this trail. From the NPS website I know that it gains about 1000 ft in elevation in about a mile and it is a ridge trail. Does anyone know if this trail has steep drop-offs?

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alpine trail from Eielson

I wouldn't say there were steep drop offs like cliffs but it is steep. I have issues with vertigo and when I got to the ridge line it felt steeper than it is since there are no trees/bushes/shrubs to get my bearing. I have been on the hike a couple times and always enjoyed it and never felt unsafe. The NPS Denali FB page just posted a beautiful picture of people on the ridge line during a recent hike of the Alpine Trail at Eielson.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alpine trail from Eielson

There are no expose ledges or sharp drop offs on this hike. You do not need to get all the way to the top to get breathtaking views on a clear sunny day.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alpine trail from Eielson

My question is why you want to take the alpine trail with dozens of other people when you could do so much more and have a much more secluded experience. Even just hiking up to the top of the mountain directly to the right (east) of the alpine trail will give you a very similar experience but without the crowds. When I did that hike a couple of years ago we got within feet of a caribou (better said the caribou got within feet of us). That is something that will never happen with all the foot traffic on the alpine trail.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alpine trail from Eielson

I am not familiar with this trail, as I have not yet been to Denali...will be there in 2 weeks!

I did not know that it was such a popular and populated trail. the NPS posted a photo on Facebook today and it is just gorgeous, taken from the ridgetop from the Alpine trail. I was thinking that it would be a beautiful hike. Thanks for the tip...is the other trail you mention marked?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alpine trail from Eielson

What fti is talking about is Thoro bench. There is no trail. When the mountain is out at Stony overlook I love taking friends up the Thoro bench at Fish Creek & then hike across it with the mountain out in front of us. Makes for the most remarkable pictures & hiking experience.

Or it is possible to simply hike up to the bench from across the road just northeast of Eielson with hiking across from Fish Creek.

However, there are a number of gullies & ravines up there so one must be very, very careful of bears. We have startled foxes up there, but we make a lot of noise & watch constantly for bears. It is a popular bear area.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alpine trail from Eielson

em-T-sails, that is a gorgeous picture from the Mt. Thoro ridge that was on facebook. Thanks for telling us about it.

Once one climbs up the trail, then one can walk away to get seclusion to enjoy that view. We have hiked the whole ridge west from there & seen amazing things as we were above eagles' nests, bears in the back valley, & a whole marmot village with babies.

7. Re: Alpine trail from Eielson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 04, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...