We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth taking the Eilson tour.

A N
CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth taking the Eilson tour.

I have boked the Eilson bus tour for our family on July 5. We are traveling with two kids. With a forecast showing 60% chance of showers, is it still worth traveling 4 hours each way. We may not see mt Mckinley either. What about the flight with glacier landing. Any suggestions for what to do. We have two full days on July 5 and 6 and half day on July 4th. We are driving on to Fairbanks - Chena hot springs from Denali on 7th and looks like rain is going to follow us.

Ann

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is it worth taking the Eilson tour.

I visited Denali for the first time in early June and took the Eielson shuttle two days in a row. On the first day we saw a brief glimpse of parts of Denali (the mountain (from the Stony Pass lookout) but it was foggy at Eielson itself. The key thing is we saw lots of wildlife, 4-5 grizzlies, caribou, dall sheep, moose, ground squirrels. On the second day the weather was not great but still saw plenty of wildlife including a close encounter with a grizzly just 20 meters off the road and also a lynx (very rare, I'm told). Definitely worth the trip, but take your own water and snacks - a long day but more than worth it.

12. Re: Is it worth taking the Eilson tour.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 12, 2013