We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation between McKinley Chalet Resort and WAC

New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation between McKinley Chalet Resort and WAC

Hi,

I will be staying in the McKinley Chalet Resort in July and will need transportation to the Wilderness Access Center early in the morning. The resort provides shuttle service to the WAC, but it starts at 7:15a. I am taking the 6:15a park bus.

Is there any other shuttle service in the area that starts operating earlier, or taxi is the only way to go?

Thanks for your help.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,864 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation between McKinley Chalet Resort and WAC

I think you will need to walk or book your own transport - like using http://denalitaxishuttle.com/ :)

New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation between McKinley Chalet Resort and WAC

Thank you for the link, Coalminer.

I know it is not too far from the resort, the park entrance is a little over 1 mile, but not sure how far the Wilderness access center is. Is it a walkable distance, particularly that early in the morning?

Thanks again.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation between McKinley Chalet Resort and WAC

The WAC is only a 1/2 mile or so from the entrance sign. Probably about 2 miles from hotel to WAC. Just look out for moose on the walk.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation between McKinley Chalet Resort and WAC

You don't have to walk to the main DNP entrance. Take the bike path from the hotel to the Jonesville Trail to the WAC. It's approximately a mile or so:

nps.gov/dena/…DENAmap2.pdf

Edited: 4:59 pm, June 06, 2012
New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation between McKinley Chalet Resort and WAC

Thank you, Denalicat. This is helpful to know. I am assuming the trail is marked well and should be easy to follow.

BTW, Denali Taxi shuttle charges $35 for transfer from the chalet to the WAC, which is excessive given the proximity.

6. Re: Transportation between McKinley Chalet Resort and WAC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, June 21, 2013