We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wonder Lake supplies

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
35 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Wonder Lake supplies

This may already posted somewhere here, but I couldn't find it - I apologize if it is!

We're camping at Wonder Lake for 3 days in June. This will be our first time camping somewhere not within a drive to a store of some kind and I wanted to make sure we're prepared. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of supplies they would bring in with them? Also any food/cooking suggestions would be great - I'm assuming you can't bring a big cooler on the camper bus?

Thank you!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wonder Lake supplies

Wow that is a loaded question. I assume you are going to Wonder Lake for three NIGHTS (or is it three days and two nights?). I would think of all the things you personally use when preparing and cleaning up for meals and basically you need those.

Actually you can bring as much as you want on the camper bus. I usually only bring a smaller cooler but I have seen some people with larger ones. I don't mind tent camping but I am usualy the one with the nicest food at the WL campground:-)

Bring enough camp fuel, bring paper towels, bring dish soap, a scrubbie of some sort, maybe a dish towel or something to help you dry the dishes (or air dry). A pot, a pan, spatula, spoon, etc. I like to bring a 5 gallon water jug since that way I am not constantly running back to the water tap to get water when I cook.

I usually bring more fresh food for the first 2-3 nights at Wonder Lake then as my refrigeration melts I go more to canned and preserved things. I try to pre-cook some food like ground meat to make it easier to cook and clean up, as well as it keeps better when cooked.

As I said I eat well at Wonder Lake so this is probably not a typical menu. I often bring steak for one of my first meals. Brats, spaghetti, hamburger helper or similar, Maybe some sort of pork or chicken. I often bring instant potatoes or some sort of easy cook pasta (just add water). For one morning I have pancakes (just add water) but usually just simple cold breakfast. For lunch it can be anything from deli meat (usually the first couple of days when the ice hasn't melted yet) to PB&J or just lots of snacks, granola bars, etc.

Probably as much as the food, you want to be prepared in June for mosquitoes. I bring a headnet, DEET and an Off Power Pad lamp. I use the Power Pad lamp for when I am there in the evening cooking and eating. It works wonders, no pun intended.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wonder Lake supplies

Just to see another vantage point, I spend as little time cooking in DNP campsites since I will have been hiking all day. Plus, I don't want to wash pots!

I take easy instant meals like cup-of-soups of corn chowder, split pea soup, & noodle dishes. So I just heat water! Instant oatmeal, raisins & melita filtered coffee. Lunch is often peanut butter-filled pretzels, dried nuts, dried fruit, gorp. Always take extra food! It's hard to judge the voracious appetites that grow from hiking & camping!

I like having my melita plastic filter, paper filters & good coffee rather than yuck instant or coffee bags.

Mosquito dope & head net are a must, especially when camping at Wonder Lake.

Yes you can bring a big cooler on the camper bus, although I never do.

The camp hostess Phyllis at Wonder Lake is incredibly gracious & has extra everything if you are ever in a bind. She loans out head nets especially.

Have fun!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wonder Lake supplies

denalicat is a true backcountry camper. I love the way she does things so simply. But if I am going to spend the evening at Wonder Lake anyway after a long day of hiking I will make myself a nice meal to boot!

denalicat, Phyllis was not the campground host last year except for about 3 weeks in August. Her health has been failing. In 2010 she had to leave Wonder Lake for several weeks due to her health. Another guy started there in June2011 (I was on the first camper bus on June 8th) but it didn't work out with him for various reasons (more that the NPS had some relatively unrealistic rules and expectations, plus he was camping in a tent himself which can get rough). So he only lasted a couple of weeks. After that there was no campground host/hostess at Wonder Lake but the rangers checked in frequently. I am not sure what the plan will be this year.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wonder Lake supplies

I heard about Phyllis but was hoping she rebounded. When I stayed there I walked her up to her husband's memorial on the little hill next to the campground. They worked WL for many many years. Kinda sad. Walk up there for Phyllis for me next time you get camping there, john. There is a rock memorial tucked by a tree. It was their favorite lookout spot. Bet the drivers miss her yummy baked goodies! Yum!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wonder Lake supplies

I will have to check out the memorial. I stayed at WL since her husband died but never went to find the memorial. Unfortunately I am not planning on staying there this year :-(. But I might get there on a day trip on the shuttle.

Yes her treats were nice. I brought her some fresh veggies and fruit one time and she gave me and my travel buddies some homemade cookies. I warned her I wasn't alone :-)

Edited: 8:36 pm, April 19, 2012
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wonder Lake supplies

I met her at Wonder Lake and at the Regional Office when she was recognized for her service, she is a wonderful lady. I do hope she gets to feeling a bit better and that she gets to spend some tie at WL this summer.

On topic, I am bit more like denalicat but only because I can't stand cleaning up. I stick to snacks, Jerky, cheese, PB &J, and water or tea to drink. Maybe some dehydrated soup or some oatmeal but I really hate washing dishes when camping.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
35 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wonder Lake supplies

Thanks everyone for the comments - very helpful. I am making a list!

Abby

8. Re: Wonder Lake supplies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:41 pm, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...