We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kantishna Shuttle vs Kantishna Experience

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wadsworth, Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
Kantishna Shuttle vs Kantishna Experience

We have a large group going to Denali in July. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons to the Kantishna Shuttle $60 and the Kantishna Experience $169? And if anyone has taken either of these tours and which you would suggest.

THANKS!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kantishna Shuttle vs Kantishna Experience

1. shuttle buses are cheaper

2. Shuttle- you can get off at any place you want

3. Shuttle- If weather is not the best you can get off at the Eielson VC or anywhere and go back or stay longer at the Eielson

4. On the shuttle a lunch is not provided but you can bring your own lunch and eat what you want and not others want you to eat

5. If you don't like a company on the shuttle you can get off at any time

6. If you want to take a short or long hike then opt for a shuttle

7. If you want to take a hike with a park ranger in Eielson you need to take a shuttle

8. Kantishna, IMHO, is not very scenic as compared to the other areas along the road

9. Going to Kantishna is a very long day

The answer is obvious, isn't it?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,320 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kantishna Shuttle vs Kantishna Experience

Welcome to the forum.

I too would suggest you take the shuttle and not the Kantishna Experience. But I would book the shuttle just to Wonder Lake.

How large is a "large group"? If you want to get off and hike somewhere, I would suggest doing it at Eielson Visitor Center. That way there is a dispatcher who will work to get your entire group on the same bus.

Note that traveling past Eielson through early August (i.e. to Wonder Lake or Kantishna) means you need to be prepared for mosquitoes - head net and DEET are best. Realize though that the shuttle bus only stops at Wonder Lake for about 1/2 hour. The Kantishna Experience bus spends a bit more time in Kantishna I think (meal and some activity, though neither are worth the $100/person additional cost - same road, same wildlife, same scenery, same Mountain).

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kantishna Shuttle vs Kantishna Experience

<<same road, same wildlife, same scenery, same Mountain).>>

and same buses but of different colors.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kantishna Shuttle vs Kantishna Experience

The Kantishna Experience description says that a Ranger hops on the bus at Wonder Lake and leads a tour. Are there several old buildings in Kantishna to visit and explore? or a mine? Are you not allowed to visit them without a guide?

Descriptions of each from the reservation site:

reservedenali.com/play/tours/kantishna-exper…

reservedenali.com/play/…kantishna.aspx

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,320 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kantishna Shuttle vs Kantishna Experience

Fanny Quigley's cabin is in Kantishna. Anyone can see it from the outside. Perhaps the ranger gives a tour from the inside? It is the same ranger (one of two) that gives the evening campground programs at Wonder Lake. Spend the night at Wonder Lake and get a ranger-led program for free :-)

Wadsworth, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kantishna Shuttle vs Kantishna Experience

Thanks! All this information is very helpful! Our group is 17-19 people.

Looking forward to our trip. If you have any other great tips - happy to hear them!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,320 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kantishna Shuttle vs Kantishna Experience

If you take the shuttle bus (or even the tour), book NOW. With that many people, you are best off booking 19 seats and paying the relatively nominal cancellation fee ($4/ticket for the shuttle bus) than not finding enough room on the bus you want.

If you don't want to be broken up as a group, definitely stay on the same bus the entire day or get off and back on only at Eielson. I have definitely seen buses with 19 open seats leave Eielson (especially camper buses and Disco buses that had already dropped off hikers).

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kantishna Shuttle vs Kantishna Experience

Hi Sheryl,

If you can share with us the composition of your group, we may be able to add some tips.

For instance, any babies or small children?

Wadsworth, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kantishna Shuttle vs Kantishna Experience

The age ranges are from 17 up to 68. All our first time in Alaska. We are taking the northbound cruise from Vancuover to Seward. We have a tour in Seward planned, train to denali, denali park and back to anchorage for the airport.

Thanks for your help!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kantishna Shuttle vs Kantishna Experience

fti and places .....

Fanny Quigley's cabin is the only building at Kantishna? The tour description talks about the historic mining community, "Follow in the footsteps of Fannie Quigley to the old gold town of Kantishna". I would have expected a whole lot more when I stepped off the bus in Kantishna.