We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denali Lodging

SW Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Denali Lodging

we are traveling by train to Denali early Sep 2012 and seeing TA reviews on lodging with similar number of poor reviews as good. And Denali Windsong lodge had one 1 review. We don't have a car so we need shuttles from train to lodging. Any recommendations?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denali Lodging

Check this list from the Denali Chamber of Commerce.

http://www.alaskaone.com/_dcc/accommodations/

Look thru the 2011 trip reports and you'll find first hand recommendations. scotia_star stayed at the Denali Bluffs. The Denali Park Hotel is not on the list but I believe they have shuttle service.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denali Lodging

How long will you be in the Denali area and what do you plan to see and do? Who is traveling with? Budget? If you can share a bit more, we can probably help a bit more. While you can get transport to some areas not near the depot or entrance, sometimes it isn't worth it - depending on the activities you are planning to do. You can rent a car in the Denali area if interested. :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,425 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denali Lodging

There is a Top Question about Denali that lists lodging with transportation.

Also, don't put a lot of weight to hotel reviews on TA, especially from people with just a couple of contributions. Many are skewed, not to mention extremely subjective and perhaps inaccurate.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denali Lodging

Fti is totally correct about reviews - also what is listed. For example, Denali Windsong lodge closed several years ago . . . :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denali Lodging

We’ve stayed at several places in Denali and prefer the Grande Denali Lodge. They do have shuttle service. They also start offering deals in September when the tourist traffic begins to slow down. The train from Anchorage to Denali can be pretty uneventful with a lot of trees passing by and the occasional glimpse of the mountain, should the weather cooperate which is does maybe 1/3 of the time. A car really provides a lot of flexibility.

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denali Lodging

We have stayed at Denali Bluffs and McKinnely Village. I preferred Denali Bluffs but McKinnely Village is also nice. Just further out.

When we arrived on the train I was surprised to see that I saw a shuttle bus for about every hotel/lodge/cabins that I had read about. It was really nice that you do not even have to pick up your bags. They are sent directly to your hotel and delivered to your door. This might not be true of all hotels. Double check with your hotel once you have made a decision.

Denali National...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Denali Lodging

Where is the car rental place in Denali? Could provide a web address?

8. Re: Denali Lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, December 15, 2011
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Denali Lodging

Here is where you can rent a car for the Denali area:

denalidomehome.com/Car-Rental-Denali.html

New York
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Denali Lodging

If you want some excellent basic budget lodging, this year the Denali Park Hotel started a shuttle service for the train and Denali.

I have stayed here many times with a car, and rates are low, compared to others in the area.