We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denali Tour Options - Natural History vs. Tundra Wilderness

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Denali Tour Options - Natural History vs. Tundra Wilderness

We're doing a combined cruisetour with Princess in 3 weeks and I've read a few reviews about the tours above - The Natural History Tour is 6 hours and included with the cruise price and the Tundra Wilderness Tour is 3 hours longer and reviews are more positive. Has anyone done either of these tours and have any recommendatins and or thoughts? Thanks a bunch!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Denali Tour Options - Natural History vs. Tundra Wilderness

From FTI 12/18/11

"Actually, last season, the TWT pretty much always went to mile 61 (Stony Overlook) even if the Mountain was not out. Asking drivers about it, they said that they did that change last year to give the TWT passengers a better chance to see bears (which is true). Whether they will do that again this coming season, who knows."

I thought since this topic resurfaced, I would add that according to the current TWT description on the Denali Nat'l Park website: "Today, the TWT is a 7-8 hour excursion into the park with a certified driver-naturalist. Going to at least Toklat River (mile 53), this tour provides in-depth information about the history of the park, while maintaining a keen eye in search of wildlife and photography opportunities."

So for those considering the "tours" (vs. shuttle bus) please keep this in mind. As much as I like the drive between Polychrome and Tolkat, my favorite for wildlife viewing is beyond that, from Tolkat to Eielson especially for the potential for bears and caribou.

22. Re: Denali Tour Options - Natural History vs. Tundra Wilderness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...